Game Central (Saturday, June 28) vs. Tennessee
Game #79: Jackson Generals 2-7 (33-45) vs. Tennessee Smokies 7-2 (40-38)
Time/Place: 6:05 pm CT | The Ballpark at Jackson
Promotions: A&E Duck Dynasty Night with Justin Martin, Postgame Fireworks (Leaders Credit Union), Jay’s Warriors Night
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Matt Anderson (2-3, 5.31) vs. RHP Joe Gardner (1-1, 3.62)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• Tonight the Generals continue a 10-game homestand with game the series finale against Tennessee (0-4). The Generals welcome Mobile on Sunday for a five-game set. The Generals are 4-9 against the Smokies this season including 1-7 at The Ballpark at Jackson…were 2-3 on recent road trip to Mississippi.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals scored 5 runs combined in the 3rd and 4th innings, but allowed 4 runs in the top of the 8th inning as Jackson fell to Tennessee 6-5 on Friday night.
• CF Leon Landry (3×5, R, 2B, RBI) and DH Kevin Rivers (3×4, R) each recorded a team-high 3 hits, while RF Julio Morban (2×4) picked up the only other multi-hit game for the Generals. Rivers hit his 3rd home run with Jackson with a solo homer to lead off the 3rd inning.
• Starter Tyler Pike (2.0,2,2,2,5,1) allowed 2 runs on 2 hits in 2.0 innings, but did not factor into the decision. RH Forrest Snow (4.0,2,0,0,0,5) struck out 5 in 4.0 scorless innings and RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,0,0,0,0,1) struck out 1 in a 1-2-3 9th inning. RH David Colvin (1.2,3,3,3,0,2) and RH Mayckol Guaipe combined to allow 4 runs in the 8th inning. Guaipe recorded his 2nd loss of the season.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• OF Leon Landry has hit safely in 14 of his last 16 games with 10 multi-hit efforts, batting .424 (25×59) with 11 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 4 RBI, 3 walks and 7 stolen bases.
• OF Kevin Rivers currently has a 7 games hit steak, batting .440 (11×25) with 3 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 home run, 3 RBI and 1 walk.
• C John Hicks is batting .337 (31×92) with 16 runs scored, 7 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 12 RBI, 8 walks and 4 stolen bases in 23 games. During this stretch, since May 11, he has raised his season average from .224 to .298.
• OF Julio Morban his hit safely in his last 5 consecutive games, batting .450 (9×20) with 3 runs scored, 2 doubles and 1 walk.
• Since May 24, INF Jack Marder has hit safely in 20 of 25 games with 10 multi-hit efforts, batting .356 (32×90) with 16 runs scored, 5 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs, 12 RBI and 5 walks.
RED HOT JUNE OFFENSIVELY:
• Jackson is 11-12 in June with a .298 AVG which ranks 2nd in the league and seven Generals are batting over .300 this month.
Player G AVG/HR/RBI
Kevin Rivers 15 .389/1/5
Leon Landry 20 .378/0/5
Patrick Kivlehan 23 .376/2/21
Jack Marder 20 .338/2/9
Julio Morban 9 .324/0/1
John Hicks 13 .320/0/3
MARINERS NO. 2 PROSPECT D.J. PETERSON ADDED:
• D.J. Peterson, the No. 2 prospect for the Mariners, according to Baseball America and was Seattle’s 12th overall selection in the 2013 draft out of New Mexico. He made his Double-A debut on Thursday going 1-for-3 with a double and walk.
• Peterson, in 65 games with the Mavericks hit .326 (89×273) with 51 runs scrored, 23 doubles, 1 triple, 18 home runs, 73 RBI, 23 walks and 6 stolen bases. At the time of his promotion, he ranked among the California League leaders in nearly every offensive category, including slugging percentage (1st/.615), total bases (1st/168), RBI (1st/71), extra-base hits (T1st/42), home runs (2nd/18), doubles (3rd/23), hits (T5th/89) and average (6th/.326).
Mariners 1st round picks to play for Jackson:
Drafted Player Year(s) in JXN Games
2006 (5th) RHP Brandon Morrow 2008 6
2007 (11th) RHP Phillippe Aumont 2009 15
2008 (20th) RHP Josh Fields 2009-2011 72
2009 (2nd) INF Dustin Ackley 2010 82
2010 (43rd) RHP Taijuan Walker 2012-2014 40
2011 (2nd) LHP Danny Hultzen 2012 13
2012 (3rd) C Mike Zunino 2012 15
2013 (12th) INF D.J. Peterson 2014 0
• On Tuesday, Peterson was named to the U.S. Team for the upcoming 2014 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game. Peterson will be joined at the All-Star Futures Game by High Desert outfielder Gabby Guerrero, another one of the Mariners top young prospects. Guerrero will play on the World Team at the July 13 game at Target Field in Minneapolis as part of the All-Star Week festivities.