Game #88: Jackson Generals 6-12 (37-50) at Huntsville Stars 8-10 (54-34)
Time/Place: 6:30 pm CT | Joe Davis Stadium | Huntsville, Alabama
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Tyler Pike (1-0, 1.46) vs. LHP Brent Suter (7-6, 3.84)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue a 5-game road series Monday night with game 4 against the Huntsville Stars…coming off a 2-8 homestand against Tennessee (1-4) and Mobile (1-4)…are 5-7 against Huntsville this season and 3-5 at Joe Davis Stadium.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• 3B D.J. Peterson and DH Dan Paolini hit home runs and combined to drive in 6 runs for the Generals as Jackson defeated Huntsville 8-5 on Sunday.
• Paolini (3×4, R, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, BB) led the team with 3 hits, including hitting his 5th home run with a 1-out, 2-run blast in the 2nd inning. Peterson (2×5, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI) hit his 2nd home run in consecutive games with a solo shot with 2 outs in the 9th inning. He currently leads all Mariners farmhands with 20 home runs (2 with Jackson).
• Starter Victor Sanchez (7.0,4,2,2,3,4) recorded his 4th win, allowing only 2 runs on 4 hits over 7.0 innings. LH Kyle Hunter (1.0,1,0,0,0,0) tossed a scoreless 8th inning, while RH David Colvin (1.0,2,3,2,1,1) allowed 3 runs (2 ER) in the 9th inning before closing out the game.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Today’s starter LH Tyler Pike is 1-0 with a 1.46 ERA (2 ER, 12.1 IP) in 3 AA starts. He has limited opponents to a .184 (7×38) average, while walking 11 and striking out 7.
• Generals, Stars meet at “The Joe” again – In the final season of baseball in Huntsville, the Stars and Generals meet 25 times this season with 15 meetings coming at Joe Davis Stadium (3-5).
• INF Dan Paolini has hit safely in all 5 games he has appeared in July, batting .529 (9×17) with 4 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 home run, 4 RBI and 2 walks.
• Since May 22, RH Matt Anderson is 3-1 with a 2.23 ERA (12 ER, 48.1 IP) in his last 8 starts. During this stretch he has struck out 38.
• OF Leon Landry has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .327 (16×49) with 7 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 2 RBI and 5 stolen bases. Since June 7, Landry has hit safely in 22 of his last 25 games with 13 multi-hit efforts, batting .364 (36×99) with 17 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 triples, 5 RBI, 3 walks and 10 stolen bases. During this 24 game stretch he has raised his season average from .236 to .284.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 10 of his last 13 games with 7 multi-hit efforts, batting .347 (17×49) with 6 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 4 RBI and 5 walks.
• Since June 7, C John Hicks has reached base safely in 13 of 15 games with hits 11 games, batting .346 (18×52) with 9 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 6 RBI, 7 walks and 3 stolen bases.
PETERSON HOMERS FOR SECOND STRAIGHT DAY:
• 3B D.J. Peterson has hit safely in 10 of 11 games, including multi-hit performances in each of his past 3 games. He has a .283 average with 2 homers, 2 doubles and 6 RBIs for Jackson. He had only 2 extra-base hits and 1 RBI through his first 9 games entering the current road trip, now going 6-for-14 against the the Stars.
SECOND HALF IS FILLED WITH CLOSE GAMES:
• So far in the second half 11 of 18 games have been decided by 2-runs or less and 8 have been 1-run games including 7 of the last 10 games (2-5).
• Jackson is 6-14 in 1-run games in 2014 and now 4-3 in extra inning games including winning the last two extra inning contests.
VIVA LA VARGAS AT THE END OF GAMES IN 2ND HALF:
• RH Richard Vargas has appeared in 6 games since the All-Star going 1-0, and is 3-for-3 in save opperunities, not allowing a run in 8 IP. Vargas has walked 3 and struck out 10, while giving up just 2 hits holding opponents to a .074 AVG (2×27). This is after going 0-1, with a 6.12 ERA in the first half going 2-for-4 in save oppertunites walking 24 and striking out 30 in 32.1 IP.
PETERSON TO THE FUTURES GAME:
• Last Tuesday, Peterson was named to the U.S. Team for the upcoming 2014 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game. Peterson will be joined at the All-Star Futures Game by High Desert outfielder Gabby Guerrero, who will play on the World Team at the July 13 game at Target Field in Minneapolis as part of the All-Star Week festivities.