Game #94: Jackson Generals 10-14 (41-52) at Montgomery Biscuits 13-12 (48-47)
Time/Place: 7:05 pm CT | Riverwalk Stadium | Montgomery, Alabama
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Matt Anderson (3-3, 4.37) vs.RHP Mike Colla (4-9, 5.32)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals open a 5-game series in Montgomery tonight at Riverwalk Stadium…Jackson is coming off back-to-back series victories at HVL (3-2) and vs. BIR (3-1)…have won 6 of 8 overall…will play 15 games with Montgomery over the course of the final 46 games, 10 coming at Riverwalk Stadium.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• Monday night’s game between the Generals and the Barons was postponed due to rain. The game will be made up as part of a
double-header on Wednesday, August 13 when the Barons return to Jackson.
BRING ON THE BISCUITS:
• 15 of Jackson’s final 46 games of the season will be played against the Montgomery Biscuits and 10 of the final 25 road games at Riverwalk Stadium.
• As a team, the Biscuits are hitting just .218 during 13 July games, but they lead the Southern League with 18 home runs. They hit just 20 during the entire month of June.
SANCHEZ NAMED SOUTHERN LEAGUE PITCHER OF THE WEEK:
• Monday RHP Victor Sanchez was named Southern League Pitcher of the Week, July 7-13. Sanchez recorded the win in his only start during the week on July 12 vs. Birmingham. He allowed only 1 run on 3 hits, while walking 1 and striking out a season-high 9 batters in 8.0 innings.
BATS SCORCHING AND WON SIX OF LAST EIGHT GAMES:
• The Generals have posted double-digit hit totals in 7 of last 8 games (12 last night) and batted .314 (87×277) over their last 8 games, winning 6 of those, scoring 50 R on 87 H with 15 2B, 6 3B and 11 HR.
• Jackson ranks 2nd in the league doubles (170), 2nd in triples (33), 4th in slugging (.390) and 3rd in batting (.263) on the season.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Hot Hitting July – After batting .294 as a team in June, the Generals are currently batting .283 in July, which ranks 1st in the league. The 12 July home runs ranks 3rd in the league and 7 wins is T-3rd
• INF Patrick Kivlehan currently has a 7-game hit streak, batting .385 (10×26) with 8 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 home run, 5 RBI and 2 walks.
• INF Dan Paolini has hit safely 10 of 11 games appeared in July, batting .385 (15×39) with 7 runs scored, 4 doubles, 3 home runs, 9 RBI and 2 walks.
• OF Dario Pizzano has hit safely in each of his last 7 games, batting .417 (10×24) with 7 runs scored, 2 doules, 3 triples, 1 home run, 10 RBI and 4 walks.
• INF Ketel Marte currently has a 5-game hit streak, batting .417 (10×24) with 2 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple and 4 RBI.
• OF Leon Landry has hit safely in 15 of his last 16 games, batting .315 (23×73) with 9 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBI and 7 stolen bases. Since June 7, Landry has hit safely in 27 of his last 30 games with 15 multi-hit efforts, batting .350 (43×123) with 19 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 triples, 7 RBI, 3 walks and 12 stolen bases. During this 30 game stretch he has raised his season average from .236 to .285.
• 3B D.J. Peterson has hit safely in 14 of 15 games with Jackson, batting .290 (18×62) with 8 runs scored, 4 doubles, 3 home runs, 7 RBI and 4 walks.
PETERSON DOUBLES IN THE FUTURES GAME SUNDAY:
• D.J. Peterson was selected to play in the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game on Sunday at Target Field. Peterson started at first base for the U.S. Team and was 1-for-2 with a double. Peterson’s former High Desert teammate Gabby Guerrero, the starting DH for the World Team, was 0-for-2 with a strikeout.
BRAZIS IMPRESSES IN FIRST TWO RELIEF OUTINGS:
• In 2 relief outings since coming up from A+ High Desert, RH Matt Brazis has faced 1 over the minimum in 7.1 innings. He gave up a solo home run to Greg Hopkins in his first outing which was the only hit or run allowed. He has walked 1 and struck out 6 so far.
VIVA LA VARGAS IN THE SECOND HALF OUT OF PEN:
• RH Richard Vargas has appeared in 8 games since the All-Star break going 1-0, and is 3-for-3 in save opportunities, not allowing a run in 9.0 IP. Vargas has walked 4 and struck out 10, while giving up just 2 hits holding opponents to a .063 AVG (2×32). This is after going 0-1, with a 6.12 ERA in the first half going 2-for-4 in save opportunities walking 24 and striking out 30 in 32.1 IP.