Game Central (Friday, May 10)
Game #32: Jackson Generals (SEA) (13-18) at Huntsville Stars (MIL) (13-20)
Site: Joe Davis Stadium – Huntsville, Ala
Time: 6:43 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Brett Shankin (1-1, 3.43) vs. RHP Andy Moye (1-3, 4.76)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 6:28) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: None
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
Tonight’s Starting Lineup
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals (13-18) continue their 5-game series (1-2) in Huntsville, against the Stars (13-20) tonight with game 4 of the series. Jackson and Huntsville meet 20 times this season with 10 games to be played in each city. Since 2005, the Generals lead the all-time series 79-71. 23-year-old righty Brett Shankin makes his fifth Generals start in game four of the series. Shankin will be making his 31st career start. Shankin was 1-1, with a 2.61 ERA for A+ High Desert this season before being transferred to Jackson.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals dropped their 2nd straight in Huntsville on Thursday night at Joe Davis Stadium, 6-2. RHP Taijuan Walker (3-3) suffered the loss, which was his first since April 25. Brad Miller and Leury Bonilla each went 2×4 in the game.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that Jackson is 13-18 to start the season. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that the Generals’ Pythagorean W-L according to Baseball Reference is 18-13 which is an estimate of a team’s winning percentage given their runs scored and runs allowed. Developed by Bill James, it can tell you when teams were a bit lucky or unlucky. In Jackson’s case, unlucky.
NEWS & NOTES: 17 of first 31 games have been 1-run games (5-12) which is T-1st in all of minors…20 of 31 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (6-14) and 5 have been extra-inning games (2-3)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 7-3.
• OF Julio Morban currently has a 7 game hitting streak, batting .370 (10×27) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles 2 home runs and 4 RBI.
• RHP Taijuan Walker ranks 1st in the SL with 46 strikeouts and SO/9 IP ratio (10.26…ranks 3rd in Opp BA (.176)…ranks 4th in IP (40.1).
• Jackson Pitching ranks 2nd in the SL with a 3.10 ERA and have allowed the fewest number of earned runs in the league (94).
• Among SL third baseman Vinnie Catricala is the top defender with a .968 fielding percentage with 46 assists and only 2 errors.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers Brandon Bantz and John Hicks lead the SL catching 48% of base stealers (12 CS, 25 Att).
WINDY CITY HOMESTAND COMING: The Generals begin their longest homestand of the season Sunday, welcoming the Tennessee Smokies (CHC) and Birmingham Barons (CHW) at The Ballpark for 10 games in 9 days. The homestand includes a scheduled doubleheader on May 18 vs. Birmingham.
HOSTING THE OVC: For the fourth year in a row The Ballpark in Jackson will host the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament will be held May 22-26 and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship.