Game Central (Saturday, May 11)
Game #33: Jackson Generals (SEA) (14-18) at Huntsville Stars (MIL) (13-21)
Site: Joe Davis Stadium – Huntsville, Ala
Time: 6:43 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (0-0, 7.36) vs. RHP Arcenio Leon (0-2, 5.28)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 6:28) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: None
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals (14-18) conclude their 5-game series (2-2) in Huntsville, against the Stars (13-20) tonight with the rubber match of the series….Jackson is 2-2 in rubber games…Jackson and Huntsville meet 20 times this season with 10 games to be played in each city. Since 2005, the Generals lead the all-time series 80-71. 22-year-old Anthony Fernandez gets the start tonight…this is his 3rd start of the season and 79th start of his career.
GENERALS RECAP: Jackson 8, Huntsville 5 W-Shankin, Brett (2 – 1) L-Moye, Andy (1 – 4) Almonte (JXN), 2-for-4, R , 2B , HR , 3 RBI , SB …Miller, B (JXN), 1-for-4, R , HR , 4 RBI
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that Brad Miller hit Jackson’s 1st grand slam of the season last night. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that the last Jackson grand slam was hit by Kalian Sams on June 6, 2012 at Chattanooga. Sams is now a member of the San Antonio Missions (AA for SD).
NEWS & NOTES: 17 of first 32 games have been 1-run games (5-12) which is T-1st in all of minors…20 of 32 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (6-14) and 5 have been extra-inning games (2-3)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 8-3.
• OF Julio Morban currently has a 8-game hitting streak, batting .344 (11×31) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles 2 home runs and 4 RBI…2nd longest current hitting streak in the SL.
• RHP Taijuan Walker ranks 1st in the SL with 46 strikeouts and SO/9 IP ratio (10.26…ranks 3rd in Opp BA (.176)…ranks 4th in IP (40.1).
• Jackson Pitching ranks 2nd in the SL with a 3.16 ERA and have allowed the 2nd-fewest number of earned runs in the league (99).
• Among SL third baseman Vinnie Catricala is the top defender with a .968 fielding percentage with 46 assists and only 2 errors.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers Brandon Bantz and John Hicks lead the SL catching 48% of base stealers (12 CS, 25 Att).
WINDY CITY HOMESTAND COMING: The Generals begin their longest homestand of the season Sunday, welcoming the Tennessee Smokies (CHC) and Birmingham Barons (CHW) at The Ballpark for 10 games in 9 days. The homestand includes a scheduled doubleheader on May 18 vs. Birmingham.
HOSTING THE OVC: For the 4th year in a row The Ballpark in Jackson will host the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament will be held May 22-26 and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship.