Game Central (Monday, May 13)
Game #35: Jackson Generals (SEA) (15-19) vs. Tennessee Smokies (CHC) (17-18)
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Chance Ruffin (1-1, 2.80) vs. RHP Dallas Beeler (3-2, 3.16)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 6:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: None
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals (15-19) continue their 10-game homestand in 9 days vs. Tennessee (17-18) (CHC) and Birmingham (CHW). Tonight is game #2 of the series vs. the Smokies…Jackson is coming off series win in Huntsville, taking 3 of 5 from the Stars. Jackson was 17-7 against the Smokies last season. 24-year-old Chance Ruffin makes his 7th career start and 7th of the season today against Tennessee. Ruffin has pitched in 100 minor league games and 15 major league games, but this will be his 7th start..
GENERALS RECAP: After scoring 20 runs combined in their previous 2 games, the Generals were shutout for the 4th time this season 5-0 by Tennessee on Sunday night. Starter Roenis Elias (7.0,9,5,2,0,6) recorded his 3rd loss of the season, allowing 5 runs (2 ER) on 9 hits in 7.0 innings. Relievers Moises Hernandez (1.0,1,0,0,0,0) and Kyle Hunter (1.0,0,0,0,0,1) combine to hold the Smokies scoreless over the final 2.0 innings. SS Brad Miller led the team with 3 hits, while DH Julio Morban (1×3), C Brandon Bantz (1×4) and LF Leon Landry (1×4) each recorded 1 of Jackson’s 6 hits.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that Jackson was shutout for the 4th time this season last night. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that the Generals played Tennessee 24 times last year and were not shutout in a game. The last time Tennessee blanked the Generals was June 7, 2011 – 27 straight games having not been shutout by the Smokies. .
NEWS & NOTES: 17 of first 34 games have been 1-run games (5-12) which is 2nd in all of minors…20 of 34 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (6-14) and 5 have been extra-inning games (2-3)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 9-5.
• ROSTER MOVES: Today OF Abraham Almonte was promoted to AAA Tacoma and Jackson added INF Patrick Brady from A+ High Desert. Also RHP Tyler Burgoon was activated from the 7-day DL and RHP Moises Hernandez was placed on the 7-day DL.
• OF Julio Morban currently has a 10-game hitting streak, batting .385 (15×39) with 6 runs scored, 2 doubles 2 home runs and 6 RBI during the streak….2nd longest current hitting streak in the SL and tied with Steven Proscia for longest by a Jackson player this season.
• SS Brad Miller has hit safely in 4 straight games, batting .500 (8×16) with 2 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run and 7 RBI.
• INF Vinnie Catricala has hit safely in 4 of his last 6 with 4 multi-hit games, batting .455 (10×22) with 6 runs scored, 2 doubles, 7 RBI and 1 walk.
• RHP Taijuan Walker ranks 2nd in the SL with 46 strikeouts and SO/9 IP ratio (10.26…ranks 3rd in Opp BA (.176)…ranks 5th in IP (40.1).
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers Brandon Bantz and John Hicks are 2nd in the SL catching 48.1% of base stealers (13 CS, 27 Att).
WINDY CITY HOMESTAND: The Generals begin their longest homestand of the season this week, welcoming the Tennessee Smokies (CHC) and Birmingham Barons (CHW) at The Ballpark for 10 games in 9 days. The homestand includes a scheduled doubleheader on May 18 vs. Birmingham.
HOSTING THE OVC: For the 4th year in a row The Ballpark in Jackson will host the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament will be held May 22-26 and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship.