Game Central (Tuesday, May 14)
Game #36: Jackson Generals (SEA) (15-20) vs. Tennessee Smokies (CHC) (18-18)
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Taijuan Walker (3-3, 2.23) vs. RHP Alberto Cabrera (3-1, 4.31)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 6:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: None
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals (15-20) continue their 10-game homestand in 9 days vs. Tennessee (18-18) (CHC) and Birmingham (CHW) with game #2 of the series vs. the Smokies…Jackson is coming off series win in Huntsville, taking 3 of 5 from the Stars. Jackson was 17-7 against the Smokies last season. 20-year-old righty Taijuan Walker makes his 8th start of the season tonight. This is his 51st career start and 33rd for Jackson…made 4 starts against Tennessee last season and was 1-1, with a 2.89 ERA in 18.2 IP, 9 BB and 17 SO.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals allowed 4 runs in the top of the 9th inning as Jackson lost 4-6 on Monday. Starter Chance Ruffin (6.2,7,2,2,1,6) allowed 2 runs on 7 hits in 6.2 innings, but didn’t figure into the decision. RH Jonathan Arias (1.1,0,0,0,0,3) struck out 3 out of the 4 batters he faced in 1.1 innings in relief. RH Tyler Burgoon (0.1,4,4,2,0,1,2HR) recorded his first AA loss, allowing 4 runs (2 ER) in the top of the 9th inning. RH Forrest Snow (0.2,0,0,0,0,0) allowed 1 of the 2 inherited runners to score in the 9th before recording the final 2 outs. LF Leon Landry (2×4, R, 2B, BB) and 3B Vinnie Catricala (2×4, R, BB) each recorded 2 of the Generals 8 hits.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that Generals pitching walked 1 batter in last nights loss. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that the Generals have just walked 1 batter over their last 3 games, covering 27.1 innings pitched.
NEWS & NOTES: 17 of first 35 games have been 1-run games (5-12) which is 2nd in all of minors…21 of 35 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (6-15) and 5 have been extra-inning games (2-3)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 9-5.
• ROSTER MOVES: Yesterday OF Abraham Almonte was promoted to AAA Tacoma and Jackson added INF Patrick Brady from A+ High Desert. Also RHP Tyler Burgoon was activated from the 7-day DL and RHP Moises Hernandez was placed on the 7-day DL.
• OF Julio Morban currently has an 11-game hitting streak, batting .372 (16×43) with 7 runs scored, 2 doubles 2 home runs and 7 RBI…..Longest current hitting streak in the SL and longest by a JXN player this year. 5th-longest this season in the SL.
• SS Brad Miller has hit safely in 5 straight games, batting .450 (9×20) with 2 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run and 8 RBI.
• INF Vinnie Catricala has hit safely in 5 of his last 7 with 5 multi-hit games, batting .462 (12×26) with 7 runs scored, 2 doubles, 7 RBI and 1 walk.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 4 runs in 5.1 innings in his last start, after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R). Overall this season, he is 3-3 with a 2.23 ERA (10 ER, 41.1 IP) in 7 starts. He has limited opponents to a .176 (25×142) average, while walking 22 and striking out 46.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers Brandon Bantz and John Hicks lead the SL catching 46.7% of base stealers (14 CS, 30 Att).
WINDY CITY HOMESTAND: The Generals begin their longest homestand of the season this week, welcoming the Tennessee Smokies (CHC) and Birmingham Barons (CHW) at The Ballpark for 10 games in 9 days. The homestand includes a scheduled doubleheader on May 18 vs. Birmingham.
HOSTING THE OVC: For the 4th year in a row The Ballpark in Jackson will host the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament will be held May 22-26 and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship