Game Central (Saturday, May 18)
Game #40/41: Jackson Generals (SEA) (17-22) vs. Birmingham Barons (CHW) (26-15)
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 4:05 p.m.
Game 1: RHP Chance Ruffin (1-1, 2.79) vs. RHP Erik Johnson (2-2, 2.58)
Game 2: LHP Kyle Hunter (0-0, 0.00) vs. LHP Wes Whisler (0-1, 6.28)
Promotions: National Guard Night, Patriotic Themed Fireworks
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 3:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: MiLB.TV
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals (17-22) continue their 10-game homestand in 9 days (2-4) tonight with a scheduled doubleheader, games #2 and 3 of a 5-game series in 4 days with Birmingham (CHW) (26-15). The Generals dropped 4 of 5 from Tennessee in the previous series. Last season Jackson won 6 of 10 meetings against the Barons. RHP Chance Ruffin will make his 8th start of the season in game 1 of the doubleheader while LHP Kyle Hunter will make his 1st start of the season in game 2.
GENERALS RECAP: 1B Steven Proscia hit a RBI double in the 7th inning to break a 1-1 tie as Jackson defeated Birmingham 2-1 on Friday night. CF Francisco Martinez (2×2, 2B, RBI) recorded 2 of the Generals 2 hits, while Proscia (1×3, 2B, RBI) and 3B Vinnie Catricala (1×3, R) each recorded 1 hit. Starter Roenis Elias (6.0,3,1,1,2,5) allowed 1 run on 3 hits and struck out 5 in 6.0 innings, but didn’t figure into the decision. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (3.0,1,0,0,1,7) recorded his 2nd win of the season, allowing 1 hit and striking out 7 in 3.0 scoreless innings.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that the Generals won last night’s game 2-1. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that it was Jackson’s 6th win during a 1-run game this season in 19 chances.
NEWS & NOTES: Jackson ranks 3rd in the SL in batting (.247), 3rd in hits (325), 2nd in triples (13) and 4th in stolen bases (47). Jackson leads the league in hits allowed (296), 3rd in ERA (3.25), 3rd in walks allowed (124) and 4th in strikeouts (308),
• 19 of first 39 games have been 1-run games (6-13) which is 2nd in all of minors…24 of 39 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (7-17) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 10-5.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 4 runs in 5.1 innings in his last start, after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R). Overall this season, he is 3-3 with a 2.23 ERA (10 ER, 41.1 IP) in 7 starts. He has limited opponents to a .176 (25×142) average, while walking 22 and striking out 46.
• INF Vinnie Catricala has hit safely in 8 of his last 11 with 7 multi-hit games, batting .450 (18×40) with 11 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 8 RBI and 4 walks.
• SS Brad Miller went 0x4 yesterday snapping his hitting streak at 8 games. During the streak he hit .394 (13×33) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run and 10 RBI.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers Brandon Bantz and John Hicks lead the SL catching 54.1% of base stealers (20 CS, 37 Att).
WINDY CITY HOMESTAND: The Generals are in their longest homestand of the season this week, welcoming the Tennessee Smokies (CHC) and Birmingham Barons (CHW) at The Ballpark for 10 games in 9 days. The homestand includes a scheduled doubleheader on May 18 vs. Birmingham.
HOSTING THE OVC: For the 4th year in a row The Ballpark in Jackson will host the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament will be held May 22-26 and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship.