Game Central (Sunday, May 19)
Game #42: Jackson Generals (SEA) (18-23) vs. Birmingham Barons (CHW) (27-16)
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 6:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Taijuan Walker (3-3, 2.09) vs. RHP Nick McCully (2-1, 4.50)
Promotions: Kids Run the Bases, Do The Right Thing Night
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 5:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: MiLB.TV
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals (18-23) continue their 10-game homestand in 9 days (3-5) tonight with game #4 of the 5-game series in 4 days with Birmingham (CHW) (27-16). The Generals dropped 4 of 5 from Tennessee in the previous series. Last season Jackson won 6 of 10 meetings against the Barons. 20-year-old righty Taijuan Walker makes his team-leading 9th start of the season tonight. This is his 52nd career start and 34th for Jackson…made 2 starts against Birmingham last season and was 1-1, with a 4.09 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored a run in the bottom of the 7th inning, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson fell to Birmingham 2-1 in Game 1 on Saturday. Starter Chance Ruffin (5.0,3,2,2,0,6,2HR) recorded the loss, despite allowing only 2 solo home runs in 5.0 innings. LH Nick Hill (2.0,4,0,0,0,0) allowed 4 hit in 2.0 scoreless innings in relief. LF Leon Landry (1×3, 2B), 2B Brad Miller (1×3), 3B Vinnie Catricala (1×3, R, HR, RBI), RF Julio Morban (1×3, 2B), 1B Steven Proscia (1×3) and SS Gabriel Noriega (1×2) each recorded 1 of Jackson’s 6 hits in the game. 2B Gabriel Noriega (2) and 1B Leury Bonilla (3) combined to drive in 5 runs in the 5th inning as Jackson defeated Birmingham 6-2 in Game 2 on Saturday. Eight of the 9 players in the starting lineup recorded at least 1 hit, while CF Leon Landry (3×3, R), Bonilla (2×2, 2B, 3 RBI, BB) and C Brandon Bantz (2×2, R, 2B, BB) each recorded multi-hit games. Noriega (1×3, R, 2B, 2 RBI, Sac) and DH Steven Proscia (1×4, R, RBI) each picked up at least 1 RBI in the game. Starter Kyle Hunter (4.0,5,2,2,1,1,HR) allowed 2 runs on 5 hits in 4.0 innings, but didn’t figure into the decision. RH Tyler Burgoon (2.0,4,0,0,0,4) stuck out 4 batters in 2.0 scoreless innings in relief to earn his 2nd win of the season. RH Carson Smith (1.0,0,0,0,0,1) retired all 3 batters faced in the 9th inning to secure the win.
Hey Barons broadcaster Curt Bloom, YOU ALREADY KNOW…that the Generals are 2-1 in the current series against Birmingham. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that Jackson is 28-13 since 2008 against the Barons in games played at The Ballpark in Jackson. That is a .682 winning percentage.
NEWS & NOTES: Jackson ranks 3rd in the SL in batting (.251), 3rd in hits (343), 2nd in triples (13) and 4th in stolen bases (47). Jackson leads the league in hits allowed (312), 2nd in ERA (3.21), 3rd in walks allowed (125) and 4th in strikeouts (320),
• 20 of first 41 games have been 1-run games (6-14) which is 2nd in all of minors…25 of 41 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (7-18) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 11-5.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed a run in his last 9.1 innings in relief (5 G). He has allowed only 1 run in his last 16.1 innings in relief. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .172 (10×58) average, while walking 3 and striking out 20. Since April 21, Kohlscheen has lowered his season ERA from 6.35 to 2.05 in 8 games in relief.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 4 runs in 5.1 innings in his last start, after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R). Overall this season, he is 3-3 with a 2.23 ERA (10 ER, 41.1 IP) in 7 starts. He has limited opponents to a .176 (25×142) average, while walking 22 and striking out 46.
• INF Vinnie Catricala has hit safely in 10 of his last 13 with 7 multi-hit games, batting .435 (20×46) with 13 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 9 RBI and 5 walks.
• SS Brad Miller has hit safely 9 of his last 10 games, batting .350 (14×40) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run and 10 RBI.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers Brandon Bantz and John Hicks lead the SL catching 55.3% of base stealers (22 CS, 38 Att).
WINDY CITY HOMESTAND: The Generals are in their longest homestand of the season, welcoming the Smokies (CHC) and Barons (CHW) at The Ballpark for 10 games in 9 days. The homestand includes a scheduled doubleheader on May 18 vs. Birmingham.
HOSTING THE OVC: For the 4th year in a row The Ballpark in Jackson will host the Ohio Valley Conference Baseball Championship. This year the six-team, double-elimination tournament will be held May 22-26 and marks the 35th OVC Baseball Championship.