Game Central (Sunday, May 26)
Game #47: Jackson Generals (SEA) (21-25) at Montgomery Biscuits (TB) (23-25)
Site: Riverwalk Stadium – Montgomery, AL
Time: 6:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Taijuan Walker (3-4, 2.77) vs. LHP Enny Romero (2-1, 4.58)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 5:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: MiLB.TV
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals continue their 5-game road series tonight in Montgomery against the Biscuits with game #4 of the series…Jackson has won 3 of their last 4 and 6 of their last 10 games. 20-year-old righty Taijuan Walker makes his team-leading 10th start of the season. This is his 53rd career start and 35th for Jackson…2nd start against Montgomery this season…allowed 3 unearned runs on 4 hits in 5 innings, walking 2 and striking out 5 on 4/10. In 4 career starts vs. MTG, 2-2, with a 2.97 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: LF Leon Landry hit a 2-run home run in the 3rd inning as Jackson came-from-behind to defeat Montgomery 3-1 on Saturday night. Starter Chance Ruffin (6.0,4,1,1,0,7,HR) allowed a home run to lead off the game, but held the Buscuits scoreless over the next 5.0 innings to earn his 2nd win of the season. LH Nick Hill (2.0,1,0,0,0,1) allowed 1 hit and struck out 1 in 2.0 scoreless innings, while RH Tyler Burgoon (1.0,0,0,0,1,2) struck out 2 in the 9th inning to earn his 2nd save of the season. RF Denny Almonte (2×4, 2B, RBI) and CF Francisco Martinez (2×4) each recorded 2 of the Generals 8 hits, while Landry (1×5, R, HR, 2 RBI), DH James Jones (1×4), C Michael Dowd (1×4) and 2B Jack Marder (1×2, R, BB) each recorded 1 hit.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that Leon Landry has homered in back-to-back games. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that Landry has a 6-game hitting streak and has reached base safely in 14-straight games. The on-base streak is tied for the longest active streak in the Southern League.
NEWS & NOTES: 21 of first 45 games have been 1-run games (6-15) which is 2nd in all of minors…27 of 45 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (8-19) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 12-6.
• Brad Miller played short stop and hit 8th for Tacoma Saturday night and was 0-for-3 with 2 walks in his Triple-A debut. Tacoma defeated Reno, 9-5 in Reno.
• OF Leon Landry currently has a 6-game hit streak, batting .348 (8×23) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs and 4 RBI. He also has reached base safely in 14 straight games.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 16 of his last 19 games, batting .357 (25×70) with 11 runs scored, 5 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs and 13 RBI. During this 19-game stretch, since April 27, Morban leads the Southern League in average.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed a run in his last 11.1 innings in relief (6 G). He has allowed only 1 run in his last 18.1 innings in relief. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .147 (10×68) average, while walking 3 and striking out 23. Since April 21, Kohlscheen has lowered his season ERA from 6.35 to 1.88 in 9 games in relief.
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 19.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .200 (14×70) average, while walking 10 and striking out 15.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 10 earned runs over his last 3 starts (16.0 innings), after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R) from April 10-May 1. Overall this season, he is 3-4 with a 2.77 ERA (16 ER, 52.0 IP) in 9 starts. He has limited opponents to a .197 (37×188) average, while walking 25 and striking out 57.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 54.8% of base stealers (23 CS, 42 Att). The next closest is Jacksonville which is throwing out 40.5% of base runners.