Game Central (Monday, May 27)
Game #48: Jackson Generals (SEA) (21-26) at Montgomery Biscuits (TB) (24-25)
Site: Riverwalk Stadium – Montgomery, AL
Time: 2:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Brett Shankin (3-1, 3.89) vs. RHP Victor Mateo (2-5, 6.90)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio (pregame 1:50) / GAMEDAY AUDIO and TuneIn Radio App.
Online TV: MiLB.TV
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: The Generals wrap up their 5-game road series this afternoon in Montgomery against the Biscuits with the rubber game of the 5-game series…A rubber match of the series has been played in 5 of Jackson’s last 6 series and 6 of the 10 overall. 23-year-old righty Brett Shankin makes his 8th Generals start in game 5 of the series. Shankin will be making his 34th career start.
GENERALS RECAP: Sunday night was once again a haunting 1-run loss for the Generals as they fell 1-0 to Montgomery. Another solid outing for Taijuan Walker fell short due to a lack of offense by the Generals and a great pitching performance by Montgomery starter Enny Romero. For the second time in two nights, Generals’ LF Leon Landry (1-4, 1B) led the game off with a hit. Even though Landry did not score, the single extended his hitting streak to 7 games. In the bottom half, Biscuits RF Mikie Mahtook got the best of a Walker’s hanging 1-2 curveball and homered to left to take the 1-0 advantage. Generals’ ace Taijuan Walker (L, 3-5, 7.0,3,1,1,2,6,1) dealt one of his best outings this year, but suffered the loss. Jackson was 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position. Enny Romero (W, 3-1, 6.0,3,0,0,1,5,0) notched the win for Montgomery.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that Jackson out-hit Montgomery on Sunday 4-3. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that in 12 of Jackson’s 26 losses this season the Generals have out-hit their opponents.
NEWS & NOTES: 22 of first 47 games have been 1-run games (6-16) which is 2nd in all of minors…28 of 47 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (8-20) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 12-6.
• Snow On The Go…RHP Forrest Snow was promoted to AAA Tacoma today and will make a spot start today for the Rainiers as they wrap up their series in Reno. Snow was 1-5, with a 3.58 ERA in 17 relief outings for the Generals this season.
• Gillheeney Returns…LHP James Gillheeney suffered the loss yesterday for AAA Tacoma and has been sent back down to Jackson. In 6 starts in Tacoma James was 2-2, with a 4.50 ERA. With Jackson this season Gillheeney was 2-0, with a 1.21 ERA in 4 starts.
• OF Leon Landry currently has a 7-game hit streak, batting .333 (9×27) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs and 4 RBI. He also has reached base safely in 15 straight games which is the longest active streak in the Southern League.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 16 of his last 20 games, batting .338 (25×74) with 11 runs scored, 5 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs and 13 RBI. During this 20-game stretch, since April 27, Morban leads the Southern League in average.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed a run in his last 11.1 innings in relief (6 G). He has allowed only 1 run in his last 18.1 innings in relief. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .147 (10×68) average, while walking 3 and striking out 23. Since April 21, Kohlscheen has lowered his season ERA from 6.35 to 1.88 in 9 games in relief.
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 19.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .200 (14×70) average, while walking 10 and striking out 15.
• RHP Taijuan Walker currently ranks 6th in the SL with a 2.59 ERA, 1st in strikeouts with 63, 3rd in innings pitched, 59.0, 2nd in opponents batting average, .190 and1st in strikeouts per 9 innings, 9.61.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 55.8% of base stealers (24 CS, 43 Att). The next closest is Jacksonville which is throwing out 40.5% of base runners.