By: Grant Braden
Huntsville Stars (22-28, 5th place, 10 games back) Scouting Report
- Power threats: Jason Rogers (10 HR) and Brock Kjeldgaard (9 HR) lead the Southern League in long balls. These two average a home run every 19 at-bats.
- Jason Rogers: In addition to the power, Rogers should be considered an all-around offensive stud. Here are his rankings in the Southern League: leader in RBIs (42), extra-base hits (26) and total bases (105), 2nd in hits (57), 3rd in doubles (14) and slugging percentage (.536) and the 7th best hitter overall (.291).
- Lack of contact: Huntsville hitters have struck out 382 times, second most in the league.
- Control: With a 4.12 ERA, Huntsville pitching is second worst in the league. It seems that much of their woes stem from a control shortage. They have given up the second most free passes (203), while delivering 35 wild pitches.
- Jimmy Nelson (5-3, 2.98) and Ariel Pena (4-3, 2.77) are definitely their two best starters/most consistent pitchers.
- Nelson dominated the Generals earlier this season (6 IP, 0 ER, 3 H), but his last five starts have been a struggle. In those starts, Nelson has a 4.81 ERA and allowed 30 hits.
- So far in May, Ariel Pena is 3-1 with a 1.03 ERA. He’s allowed 3 earned runs in 26.1 IP while striking out 31 batters. He has struggled on the road though (4.03, 18 BB)
- Notable Alumni: Prince Fielder, Ryan Braun, Mark McGwire, Barry Zito