Game Central (Friday, May 31)
Game #52: Jackson Generals (SEA) (23-28) vs. Huntsville Stars (MIL) (24-29)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Chance Ruffin (2-2, 2.72) vs. RHP Andy Moye (2-6, 4.73)
Promotions: Car Giveaway (Manns), NASCAR Night
Online TV: MiLB.TV
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals look to break a 2-game losing skid as they play game #4 of a 5-game series with the Huntsville Stars tonight at The Ballpark at Jackson…Jackson has won the past 2 series over Birmingham (3-2) and Montgomery (3-2) coming into this series…the Generals are 4-4 against Huntsville this season and will play their North Division rivals 20 times in 2013. 24-year-old Chance Ruffin makes his 10th career start and 10th of the season tonight. Ruffin has been hot in the month of May posting a 2.25 ERA striking out 23 and walking just 2.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 3 runs in the 7th inning on a 3-run home run by 1B Rich Poythress, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson lost 3-6 to Huntsville on Thursday night. SS Gabriel Noriega (2×4, R) led the team with 2 hits, while Poythress (1×4, R, HR, 3 RBI) knocked in all 3 of the Generals runs. RF Julio Morban (1×4) recorded the team’s only other hit. Starter Roenis Elias (5.1,7,6,5,4,6,HR) recorded his 5th loss of the season, allowing 6 runs (5 ER) on 7 hits in 5.1 innings. Relievers Tyler Burgoon (1.2,0,0,0,0,4), LH Nick Hill (1.0,0,0,0,0,0) and RH Carson Smith (1.0,1,0,0,0,2) combined to hold the Stars scoreless over the final 3.2 innings.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that Huntsville is 24-29 and 9 games back in the North Division standings. But, DID YOU KNOW?…that Huntsville is T-2nd in the league with a 15-13 record in May and have led the league with 26 home runs during the month of May. Also DID YOU KNOW?…that last night’s 6-3 loss was only the 5th loss during the month of May by more than 1 run.
NEWS & NOTES: 24 of first 51 games have been 1-run games (7-17) which is the most in all of minors…30 of 51 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (9-21) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 13-7.
• The Seattle Generals…their are currently 4 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, 5 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in each of his last 4 games, batting .333 (6×18) with 1 run scored, 1 double and 1 RBI.
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 20.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .192 (14×73) average, while walking 10 and striking out 15.
• RH Carson Smith held opponents scoreless over his last 8.0 innings (8 G), while not allowing an earned run in his last 11.0 innings in relief. After allowing 2 runs in back-to-back outings April 17 and 19, Smith has lowered his season ERA from 8.44 to 2.76. During this 10 game span, he has limited opponent to a .128 (5×39), while walking 1 and striking out 15. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in each of his 16 appearances this season (21).
• LH Kyle Hunter has not allowed a run in his last 8.2 innings in relief (4 G). During this stretch he has limited opponets to a .133 (4×30) average, while walking 3 and striking out 10.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed a run in his last 13.0 innings in relief (8 G). He has allowed only 1 run in his last 20.0 innings in relief. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .137 (10×73) average, while walking 3 and striking out 25. Since April 21, Kohlscheen has lowered his season ERA from 6.35 to 1.75 in 11 games in relief.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 11 earned runs over his last 4 starts (23.0 innings), after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R) from April 10- May 1. Overall this season, he is 3-5 with a 2.59 ERA (17 ER, 52.0 IP) in 9 starts. He has limited opponents to a .197 (37×188) average, while walking 25 and striking out 57.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 55.3% of base stealers (26 CS, 47 Att). The next closest is Jacksonville which is throwing out 39% of base runners.