Game Central (Sunday, June 2)
Game #52: Jackson Generals (SEA) (23-28) at Tennessee Smokies (CHC) (28-26)
Site: Smokies Park – Kodak, TN
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Taijuan Walker (3-5, 2.59) vs. RHP Kyle Hendricks (5-2, 2.47)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals begin a 5-game road series at Tennessee today with game #1 of the series…the Generals had 2 games cancelled in the last series at home vs. Huntsville (1-2)…the Generals are 1-4 against the Smokies this season, dropping 4 of 5 from them at home 5/12-5/16. 20-year-old righty Taijuan Walker makes his team-leading 11th start of the season today. This is his 54th career start and 36th for Jackson…2nd start against Tennessee this season…in career 1-2, 2.50 ERA vs. Tennessee.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals had Friday and Saturday’s games vs. Huntsville cancelled due to rain and unplayable field conditions. The games will not be made up as the two teams will not meet again during the first half. The Stars took 2 of 3 games from Jackson in the series. This marked the second time this season Jackson had 2 games in a series cancelled. Jackson had 2 games cancelled on 5/3 and 5/4 against Jacksonville due to rain. Jackson does not play Jacksonville again this season. Huntsville and Jackson have split the 8 meetings so far this season and will meet 10 more times this season.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that the Generals had 4 games cancelled this season. 2008, 2004, 2003, 2000 138, , DID YOU KNOW?…that the total is the most in the 16-year history of the franchise. Jackson played 138 games in 2000, 2003, 2004 and 2008. With no further games cancelled the Generals will only play 136 games this season.
NEWS & NOTES: 24 of first 51 games have been 1-run games (7-17) which is the most in all of minors…30 of 51 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (9-21) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 13-7.
• Series of Roster Moves…The wheels continued to spin Sunday in the Mariners organization with 5 moves effecting the Generals roster.. RHP Erasmo Ramirez was promoted to Tacoma, RHP Brett Shankin sent to High Desert, catcher John Hicks and RHP Andrew Kittredge were activated from the DL. Also, Vinnie Catricala was designated for assignment by the Mariners. Recently DFA’d outfielder Francisco Martinez was traded to the Detroit Tigers today as well.
• The Seattle Generals…there are currently 4 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, 5 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in each of his last 4 games, batting .333 (6×18) with 1 run scored, 1 double and 1 RBI.
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 20.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .192 (14×73) average, while walking 10 and striking out 15.
• LH Kyle Hunter has not allowed a run in his last 8.2 innings in relief (4 G). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .133 (4×30) average, while walking 3 and striking out 10.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed a run in his last 13.0 innings in relief (8 G). He has allowed only 1 run in his last 20.0 innings in relief. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .137 (10×73) average, while walking 3 and striking out 25. Since April 21, Kohlscheen has lowered his season ERA from 6.35 to 1.75 in 11 games in relief.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 11 earned runs over his last 4 starts (23.0 innings), after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R) from April 10- May 1. Overall this season, he is 3-5 with a 2.59 ERA (17 ER, 52.0 IP) in 9 starts. He has limited opponents to a .197 (37×188) average, while walking 25 and striking out 57.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 55.3% of base stealers (26 CS, 47 Att). The next closest is Jacksonville which is throwing out 39% of base runners.