Game Central (Thursdsay, June 6)
Game #55/56: Jackson Generals (SEA) (23-31) at Tennessee Smokies (CHC) (31-26)
Site: Smokies Park – Kodak, TN
Time: 11:00 a.m. (CT)
Game 1: LHP Anthony Fernandez (2-1, 6.83) vs. RHP Alberto Cabrera (5-2, 3.70)
Game 2: RHP Andrew Kittredge (0-0, 6.00) vs. LHP Eric Jokisch (4-4, 4.05)
Radio: Pregame Show (10:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals will wrap up their 5-game series against the Smokies with its 2nd doubleheader in 4 days…the Generals are 1-7 against the Smokies this season after going 17-7 against the Smokies in 2012. 22-year-old Anthony Fernandez makes his 7th start of the year at Tennessee in game 1 of the doubleheader. In 2 career starts against Tennessee Fernandez has no record and an 8.00 ERA. Fernandez took a no decision against the Smokies at home back on May 16th. In game 2 the Generals will ask 23-year-old Andrew Kittredge to make a start out of the bullpen. This is his 2nd career start after making his 1st for AAA Tacoma on 4/25 at Las Vegas.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals held a 6-4 lead after 4 innings, but allowed 1 run in the 5th and 3 more in the bottom of the 7th inning as Jackson lost to Tennessee 8-6 on Tuesday night. The loss was Jackson’s 5th straight. Starter Chance Ruffin (4.0,7,4,4,3,1,HR) allowed all 4 runs in the 2nd inning, including a 2-out 2-run home run, but didn’t figure into the decision. RH Stephen Kohlsceen (2.0,3,1,1,1,2,HR) allowed a solo home run in the 5th inning, while RH Tyler Burgoon (0.2,4,3,3,0,1) picked up his 2nd loss of the season after allowing 3 runs in the 7th innings. LH Nick Hill (1.0,1,0,0,0,1) allowed one of 2 inherited runners to score, while RH Carson Smith (0.1,0,0,0,0,1) struck out the only batter faced to close out the game. 3B Leury Bonilla recorded the team’s only multi-hit game, while LF James Jones (1×4, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI, BB), 2B Jack Marder (1×4, R, 2B, RBI) and RF Julio Morbon (1×3, RBI, BB) combined to drive in 4 runs for the Generals.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that 2011 General and current Mariners 3B Kyle Seager hit the 1st grand slam of his career to right-center field in the 14th inning of the M’s 7-5 loss to the White Sox in 16 innings yesterday. but, DID YOU KNOW?…that Seager is the first person in MLB history to hit a game-tying grand slam in extra innings, according to Elias.
NEWS & NOTES: 24 of first 54 games have been 1-run games (7-17) which is the most in all of minors…32 of 54 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (9-23) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 13-8.
• The Seattle Generals…there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre, C Brandon Bantz, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, six 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts.
• SS Gabriel Noriega currently has a 7-game hitting streak, batting .345 (10×29) with 2 2B and 2 RBI and 3 multi-hit games in the streak
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 6 his last 7 games, batting .407 (11×27) with 1 run scored, 2 doubles and 1 RBI.
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 21.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .205 (17×83) average, while walking 11 and striking out 17.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen allowed a run in the 5th inning on June 4 vs. Tennessee, snapping his scoreless innings streak at 13.1 innings (8 G) He has allowed only 2 earned runs in his last 22 innings. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .159 average, while walking 4 and striking out 27.
• LH Kyle Hunter has not allowed a run in his last 8.2 innings in relief (4 G). During this stretch he has limited opponents to a .133 (4×30) average, while walking 3 and striking out 10.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 13 earned runs over his last 5 starts (28.0 innings), after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R) from April 10-May 1. Overall this season, he is 3-6 with a 2.67 ERA (19 ER, 57.0 IP) in 10 starts. He has limited opponents to a .202 (46×228) average, while walking 29 and striking out 68.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 55.1% of base stealers (27 CS, 49 Att). The next closest is Jacksonville which is throwing out 35.4% of base runners.