Game Central (Friday, June 7)
Game #57: Jackson Generals (SEA) (25-31) vs. Chattanooga Lookouts (LAD) (29-31)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 a.m. (CT)
Promotions: Taijuan Walker Replica Jersey Giveaway
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (2-5, 3.21) vs. RHP Zach Lee (4-3, 2.62)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals begin a 5-game series at The Ballpark at Jackson tonight against the Chattanooga Lookouts (LAD).This is the first of two visits to Jackson for the Lookouts…Jackson took 3 of 5 from the Lookouts in Chattanooga April 25-29. The North Division rivals will meet 20 times this season…24-year-old left-hander Roenis Elias makes his 11th start for the Generals in the opener of the series vs. Chattanooga. This is his 45th overall start in his pro career. Jackson is 3-7 in his starts this season despite his 3.21 ERA in those games.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals stopped a 5-game losing streak against the Smokies Thursday with a doubleheader sweep. The Generals shutout Tennessee in game one, 5-0 and hung on for a 2-1 win in game two. The Generals held the Smokies scoreless for 12.1 innings in the double dip and it was their first doubleheader sweep of the season. The Generals finished off the five-game series at Tennessee with a 2-3 record. LH Anthony Fernandez (3-1) picked up the win in game one as Jackson scored all 5 runs in each of the first 3 innings including a 2-run home run from SS Gabriel Noriega. In game two the Generals scored 2 runs in the 3rd and coasted for the win using relievers RH Moises Hernandez LH Kyle Hunter (W, 1-0) and RH Carson Smith (S, 5).
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that the Generals swept a doubleheader from the Tennessee Smokies at Smokies Park yesterday. but, DID YOU KNOW?…that it was the first doubleheader sweep for the franchise as the Generals. The last doubleheader sweep was on 8/21/10 as the Diamond Jaxx won 6-5 and 6-5 over Jacksonville at The Ballpark in Jackson. The last time the franchise had a doubleheader sweep on the road was 8/4/09 as the Diamond Jaxx won 10-5 and 6-3 at Chattanooga.
NEWS & NOTES: 25 of first 56 games have been 1-run games (8-17) which is the most in all of minors…33 of 56 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (10-23) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 14-8.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: RHP Stephen Shackleford added from A+ High Desert.
• The Seattle Generals…their are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre, C Brandon Bantz, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, six 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts.
• SS Gabriel Noriega had his 8-game hitting streak come to an end in game 2 yesterday. During the streak he batted .345 (10×29) with 2 2B 1 home run and 4 RBI and 4 multi-hit games in the streak
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 7 his last 9 games, batting .407 (11×27) with 1 run scored, 2 doubles and 1 RBI.
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 23.1 innings. Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .205 (17×83) average, while walking 11 and striking out 17.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen allowed a run in the 5th inning on June 4 vs. Tennessee, snapping his scoreless innings streak at 13.1 innings (8 G) He has allowed only 2 earned runs in his last 22 innings. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .159 average, while walking 4 and striking out 27.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 13 earned runs over his last 5 starts (28.0 innings), after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R) from April 10-May 1. Overall this season, he is 3-6 with a 2.67 ERA (19 ER, 57.0 IP) in 10 starts. He has limited opponents to a .202 (46×228) average, while walking 29 and striking out 68.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 56.0% of base stealers (28 CS, 50 Att). The next closest is Jacksonville which is throwing out 36.7% of base runners.