Game Central (Saturday, June 8)
Game #58: Jackson Generals (SEA) (25-32) vs. Chattanooga Lookouts (LAD) (30-31)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 6:05 p.m.
Promotions: Duck Dynasty Night, Postgame Fireworks (96.5 ESPN), Jay’s Warriors Night, Henderson Co. Night,
Pitching Match-up: RHP Taijuan Walker (3-6, 2.67) vs. LHP Chris Reed (2-5, 4.42)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 5-game series at The Ballpark at Jackson against the Chattanooga Lookouts (LAD) (0-1)…the season series is tied at 3-3…Tonight’s matchup features the top overall pitching prospect for the Mariners in RHP Taijuan Walker and the #3 overall pitching prospect for the Dodgers, LHP Chris Reed. He is top left-handed pitching prospect for the Dodgers… Walker makes his team-leading 12th start of the season, his 55th career start and 37th for Jackson tonight.
GENERALS RECAP: 1B Ji-Man Choi hit a 2-run home run in the bottom of the 2nd innings, but the lead didn’t last long as the Lookouts scored 4 runs in the top of third inning in a 4-2 Jackson loss vs. Chattanooga. Choi (1×4, R, HR, 2 RBI), DH James Jones (1×4), RF Julio Morban (1×4), C Michael Dowd and 2B Jack Marder each recorded 1 of the Generals 6 hits, but Choi was the only player with an extra-base hit. Start Roenis Elias (5.1,6,4,1,3,3) recored his 6th loss of the season, allowing 4 runs (1 ER) on 6 hits in 5.1 innings. RH Tyler Burgoon (1.2,1,0,0,0,2) and RH Andrew Kittredge (2.0,0,0,0,1,2) combined to strikeout out 4 batters in 3.2 innings in relief.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that former General Kyle Seager (1×4) extended his hit streak to 11 games with a single to right field in the 7th inning last night vs. Yankees. but, DID YOU KNOW?…that today the Mariners took Kyle’s brother Justin Seager (UNC Charlotte first baseman) in the 12th round of the draft. He’ll be 3rd Seager brother in pro ball.
NEWS & NOTES: 25 of first 57 games have been 1-run games (8-17) which is the most in all of minors…34 of 56 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (10-24) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 14-8.
• BANTZ MAKES MLB DEBUT…Former General Brandon Bantz is batting ninth and catching today for the Mariners.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: None
• The Seattle Generals…their are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre, C Brandon Bantz, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, six 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts.
• RHP Carson Smith held opponents scoreless over his last 10.0 innings (10 G), while not allowing an earned run in his last 13.0 innings in relief. After allowing 2 runs in back-to-back outings April 17 and 19, Smith has lowered his season ERA from 8.44 to 2.45. During this 11 game span, he has limited opponent to a .140 (6×43), while walking 1 and striking out 18. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in each of his 18 appearances this season (26).
• LHP Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 25.0 innings (1.08 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .200 (18×90) average, while walking 11 and striking out 19.
• RHP Stephen Kohlscheen allowed a run in the 5th inning on June 4 vs. Tennessee, snapping his scoreless innings streak at 13.1 innings (8 G) He has allowed only 2 earned runs in his last 22 innings. During this stretch he limited opponent to a .159 average, while walking 4 and striking out 27.
• RHP Taijuan Walker allowed 13 earned runs over his last 5 starts (28.0 innings), after allowing only 2 earned runs in his previous 5 starts (6 R) from April 10-May 1. Overall this season, he is 3-6 with a 2.67 ERA (19 ER, 57.0 IP) in 10 starts. He has limited opponents to a .202 (46×228) average, while walking 29 and striking out 68.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 56.9% of base stealers (29 CS, 51 Att). The next closest is Jacksonville which is throwing out 36.7% of base runners.