Game Central (Sunday, June 9) vs. Lookouts
Game #59: Jackson Generals (SEA) (25-33) vs. Chattanooga Lookouts (LAD) (31-31)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 6:05 p.m.
Promotions: Kids Run The Bases (JEA)
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (2-1, 2.39) vs. RHP Andres Santiago (2-5, 5.12)
Radio: Pregame Show (5:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 5-game series at The Ballpark at Jackson against the Chattanooga Lookouts (LAD) (0-2)…Chattanooga leads the season series, 4-3… 25-year-old lefty James Gillheeney starts for the Generals…this is his 10th start of the season and 5th for Jackson…Gillheeney made 6 appearances and 5 starts for Triple-A Tacoma this season posting a 2-2 record with a 4.50 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored a run on a 2-out RBI single by C John Hicks in the bottom of the 6th inning to break a 0-0 tie, but it wasn’t enough Chattanooga scored 3 runs over the final 3 innings, inlcluding 2 in the 9th, as Jackson lost to Chattanooga 3-1 on Saturday. Starter Taijuan Walker (7.1,3,1,1,0,9,HR) tossed 6.0 scoreless innings, before allowing a solo home run in the bottom of the 7th inning. He allowed only 3 hits and struck out 9, but didn’t figure into the decision after leaving in the 8th innings with a 1-1 tie. LH Nick Hill (0.2,0,0,0,1,0) recorded the final 2 outs in the 8th inning, stranding 1 runner. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (1.0,2,2,2,0,0,HR) recorded his 2nd loss of the season, allowing a 2-out 2-run home run in the top of the 9th inning. LF Leon Landry (2×5, SB) recorded the team’s only extra-base hit, wihle CF James Jones (1×4), C John Hicks (1×4, RBI), 1B Steven Proscia (1×4) and 2B Patrick Brady (1×3, BB) each recorded 1 of the Generals 7 hits.
YOU ALREADY KNOW… that Brandon Bantz made his Major League debut yesterday for the Mariners against the Yankees and was 0-for-2. but, DID YOU KNOW?…that Bantz became the 7th player in Mariners history to make his first MLB appearance in a start at catcher. (He joins former Jackson catchers Jesus Sucre, 5/14/13; and Adam Moore, 9/17/09 then; Kenji Johjima, 4/3/06; Bert Heffernan, 5/13/92; Bill McGuire, 8/2/88; and Jamie Nelson, 7/21/83.)
NEWS & NOTES: 25 of first 58 games have been 1-run games (8-17) which is the most in all of minors…35 of 57 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (10-25) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 14-8.
• TODAY’S TRANSACTIONS: DFA’d INF Vinnie Catricala traded to Oakland for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
• SEATTLE GENERALS…their are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre, C Brandon Bantz, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, six 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts.
• MR. FRANCHISE REACHING…28-year-old 3B Leury Bonilla has reached base safely in 15 straight games, batting .356 (16×45) with 2 doubles, 12 runs, 8 RBI and 9 BB with a .463 on-base percentage.
• RH Taijuan Walker is 0-2 in his last 3 starts, despite allowing only 4 runs in 19.0 innings (1.89 ERA). During this stretch he limited opponents to a .184 average (12×65), while walking 4 and striking out 20.
• RHP Carson Smith held opponents scoreless over his last 10.0 innings (10 G), while not allowing an earned run in his last 13.0 innings in relief. After allowing 2 runs in back-to-back outings April 17 and 19, Smith has lowered his season ERA from 8.44 to 2.45. During this 11 game span, he has limited opponent to a .140 (6×43), while walking 1 and striking out 18. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in each of his 18 appearances this season (26).
• After allowing 2 runs in his first relief outing on April 5, LH Nick Hill has allowed only 3 runs in his last 25.2 innings (1.07 ERA). Overall this season he has limited opponents to a .196 (18×92) average, while walking 12 and striking out 19.
• We Gotcha!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 56.9% of base stealers (29 CS, 51 Att). The next closest is Jacksonville which is throwing out 35.3% of base runners.