Game #72: Jackson Generals (SEA) (3-2, 32-39) at Tennessee Smokies (CHC) (2-3, 36-38)
Site: Smokies Park – Kodak, TN
Time: 6:15 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (3-6, 3.08) vs. RHP Alberto Cabrera (6-3, 3.76)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:00) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals begin a road series tonight with game #1 of a 5-game series at Tennessee against the Smokies…this is the 11th of 20 meetings between the clubs (3-7) and 2nd series played at Smokies Park…24-year-old Roenis Elias makes his 14th start for the Generals and 2nd of the season vs. Tennessee. This is his 48th overall start in his pro career. Elias is 3-1 with a 1.88 ERA on the road as opposed to 0-5 with a 4.20 ERA at home.
GENERALS RECAP: DH Steven Proscia hit 2 home runs and 3B Ramon Morla hit a grand slam home run as Jackson defeated Mobile 9-3 on Sunday evening. Proscia (3×4, 3 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI) recorded his 5th and 6th home runs of the season and first since May 7 at Huntsville. Morla hit his 12th home run of he season and 2nd since being promoted to Jackson, while tying his season-high with 4 RBI (also: 6/13/13 vs. Inland Empire w/High Desert). SS Gabriel Noriega (2×4, R) recorded the team’s only other multi-hit game. Starter Anthony Fernandez (5.0,6,2,2,2,4) earned his 4th win of the season, allowing 2 runs on 6 hits in 5.0 innings. RH Tyler Burgoon (2.0,3,1,1,1,1) allowed a run top of the 6th inning, while relievers Nick Hill (1.0,0,0,0,0,3) and Andrew Kittredge (1.0,0,0,0,0,0) combined to hold the BayBears scoreless over the final 2.0 innings.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that Steven Proscia recorded 2 home runs in yesterday’s 9-3 win over Mobile, but DID YOU KNOW?…that is was the 2nd straight day a General recorded a multi-home run game (Jones on Saturday) and it was his 7th multi-home run game of his career (last: 8/23/12 vs. Lake Elsinore w/High Desert).
NEWS & NOTES: 29 of first 71 games have been 1-run games (10-19) which is the 2nd in all of minors…41 of 71 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-28) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 19-11.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2012 General C Mike Zunino (2×3) saw his first career multi-hit game yesterday in Seattle’s 6-3 10 inning win over Oakland. In 8 games Zunino has 6 hits in 28 at-bats (.214).
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, eight 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• LEADING THE LEAGUE: OF Julio Morban leads the league with a .328 batting average and has hit safely in each of his last 5 games, batting .350 (7×20) with 6 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 home run, 1 triple and 9 RBI.
• MIGHTY MOUSE: SS Chris Taylor had a day off yesterday, but has hit safely in each of the 4 games he has appeared with Jackson, batting .286 (4×14) with 3 runs scored, 1 double and 1 RBI.
• MR JONES…MR JONES: OF James Jones currently has a 5-game hitting streak, batting .421 (8×19) with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 2 home runs and 6 RBI.
• NEW FRESH PRINCE OF TACOMA: RH Taijuan Walker was promoted to Tacoma Friday. He struck out a career-high 12 on Thursday against Mobile. In his last 5 starts, has struck out 39 and walked 5 in 32 2/3 innings, all while allowing opponents to hit just .191 (21-for-110). Hemade 39 starts for the Generals in 2 seasons complete with rates of 9.1 strikeouts and 3.4 walks per nine innings.
• MORBAN SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: The Southern League announced Monday that Generals outfielder Julio Morban was named the League’s Hitter of the Week. Morban batted .400 (10×25), with 3 doubles, a home run, 9 RBI and 6 runs scored during the week and opening series of the 2nd half against Mobile. Morban homered, doubled twice and posted a career high 5 RBI in Saturday’s 10-5 win over the BayBears at The Ballpark at Jackson. It’s the first hitter of the week for a General since Brad Miller the first week of the season.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of Chris Taylor to start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 48.5% of base stealers (33 CS, 68 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 32.1% of base runners.