Game #73: Jackson Generals (SEA) (3-3, 32-40) at Tennessee Smokies (CHC) (3-3, 37-38)
Site: Smokies Park – Kodak, TN
Time: 6:15 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Vasquez (0-0, –) vs. LHP Austin Kirk (1-1, 4.86)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:00) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a road series tonight with game #2 of a 5-game series at Tennessee against the Smokies…this is the 12th of 20 meetings between the clubs (3-8) and 2nd series played at Smokies Park…26-year-old lefty Anthony Vasquez makes his first Jackson start of the season…Vasquez made 3 rehab starts for A- Clinton going 0-2 with a 3.31 ERA after recovering from a shoulder injury and brain surgery in November.
GENERALS RECAP: Monday’s series opener seemed like a home run derby as the Generals fell 5-1 to the Smokies and combined for 4 home runs. Every run came via the homer as Tennessee’s Justin Bour hit 2 long balls in the contest. Smokies starter Alberto Cabrera struck out a career-high 13 batters and went 8 strong for the win. The loss marks the 8th loss for Jackson against the Smokies this year in 11 meetings. DH Ji-Man Choi (1-3, HR) gave Jackson the early lead 1-0 as he hammered his 4th home run of the season and 11th overall in the top of the 2nd inning. CF Denny Almonte (1-4) and C Mike Dowd (1-3) contributed the only other hits for the Generals. Roenis Elias (L, 3-7, 6.1,2,2,2,2,5,2) suffered a tough loss on the mound. His two mistakes were costly home runs that deciphered the outcome.
YOU ALREADY KNOW…that Anthony Vasquez makes his first Jackson start since 2011 tonight, but DID YOU KNOW?…that Vasquez is 1 of only 2 Generals that have been both Diamond Jaxx and Generals (the other James Gillheeney). Vasquez was promoted to Jackson in 2010 and started game 2 of the SLDS against the Smokies in 2010.
NEWS & NOTES: 29 of first 72 games have been 1-run games (10-19) which is the 2nd in all of minors…41 of 72 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (13-28) and 6 have been extra-inning games (2-4)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 19-12.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma OF Carlos Peguero was 4×4 with 2 doubles, 3 runs and 3 RBI last night vs. Fresno. He has recorded 12 RBI over his last 5 games and 23 in 14 games since June 10. During this 14-game stretch, Peguero is batting .333 (18×54) with 12 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 5 home runs, 23 RBI and 9 walks.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently 5 players on the Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, eight 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and two 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi)
• LEADING THE LEAGUE: OF Julio Morban had his 4-game hitting streak end last night, but still leads the league with a .321 batting average.
• MIGHTY MOUSE: SS Chris Taylor had his 4-game hitting streak end yesterday, but has reached base safely in each of his first 5 Jackson games, batting .250 with a .429 on-base percentage.
• MR JONES…MR JONES: OF James Jones had a day off yesterday, but currently has a 5-game hitting streak, batting .421 (8×19) with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 2 home runs and 6 RBI.
• NEW FRESH PRINCE OF TACOMA: RH Taijuan Walker was promoted to Tacoma Friday. He struck out a career-high 12 on Thursday against Mobile. In his last 5 starts, has struck out 39 and walked 5 in 32 2/3 innings, all while allowing opponents to hit just .191 (21-for-110). Hemade 39 starts for the Generals in 2 seasons complete with rates of 9.1 strikeouts and 3.4 walks per nine innings.
• MORBAN SL HITTER OF THE WEEK: The Southern League announced Monday that Generals outfielder Julio Morban was named the League’s Hitter of the Week. Morban batted .400 (10×25), with 3 doubles, a home run, 9 RBI and 6 runs scored during the week and opening series of the 2nd half against Mobile. Morban homered, doubled twice and posted a career high 5 RBI in Saturday’s 10-5 win over the BayBears at The Ballpark at Jackson. It’s the first hitter of the week for a General since Brad Miller the first week of the season.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of Chris Taylor to start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of Monday night’s doublheader against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!...Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 48.5% of base stealers (33 CS, 68 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 31.7% of base runners.