Game Central (Monday, July 1) vs. Birmingham
Game #77: Jackson Generals (5-5, 34-42) vs. Birmingham Barons (6-6, 50-32)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Vasquez (0-0, 7.71) vs. RHP Stephen McCray (7-6, 4.36)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a homestand tonight with game #3 of the 5-game series against the Birmingham Barons. This is the 3rd and final series between the North Division rivals with Jackson leading the season series 7-5…Since 2008, the Generals are 31-14 at home against Birmingham… 26-year-old lefty Anthony Vasquez makes his 2nd Jackson start of the season toniht Vasquez made 3 rehab starts for A- Clinton going 0-2 with a 3.31 ERA after starting season recovering from a shoulder injury and brain surgery.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals took an early 2-0 lead after the first inning and scored 3 more runs in the 7th inning as Jackson held on to defeat Birmingham 5-3 on Sunday. LF Leon Landry (2×3, RBI, 2 SB), SS Chris Taylor (2×4, R, 2B, RBI, SB), CF James Jones (2×4, RBI) and 1B Steven Proscia (2×3, R) each recorded 2 of the Generals 10 hits. Starter Roenis Elias (6.0,1,1,1,3,7) recorded his 4th win of the season, allowing 1 run on 1 hit and striking out 7 in 6.0 innings. RH Stephen Shackleford (1.1,4,2,2,0,1) allowed 2 runs in the top of the 8th inning, while RH Carson Smith (1.2,1,0,0,1,3) recorded the final 5 outs to earn his 8th save of the season.
YOUR ALREADY KNOW…that the Generals have won 2 games in a row…but, DID YOU KNOW?…that the Generals have not won 3 games in a row since putting together a 4-game winning streak April 12-15 vs. Montgomery and Mississippi.
NEWS & NOTES: 30 of first 76 games have been 1-run games (10-20) which is the 2nd in all of minors…43 of 76 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (14-29) and 7 have been extra-inning games (2-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 20-13.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2012 and 2013 General INF Brad Miller was 2×3, R, 2 2B, BB yesterday for Mariners vs. Cubs recording his first Major League hit, leading off the 5th inning with a double down the left-field line.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• FIRST TO 100 HITS: SS Chris Taylor has recorded 5 hits in his last 9 at-bats (.556) with 3 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 3 RBI and 1 stolen base. Overall he has hit safely in 7 of 9 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .286 (10×35) with 7 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBI, 5 walks and 3 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits and is 1 of 17 minor league players this season to crack the century mark.
• CLOSING TIME: RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 19 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.77 ERA (4 ER, 19.1 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 3.46. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 22 of 25 games, including recording 8 strikeouts over his last 3 appearances.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: 1B Ji-Man Choi hit Jackson’s 3rd grand slam of the season June 29th vs. BIR. Brad Miller hit Jackson’s first on May 10th at HVL and Ramon Morla hit the second on June 23rd vs. MOB
• MILLER, WALKER TO THE FUTURES GAME: 2013 Generals Taijuan Walker and Brad Miller were selected to the Futures Game U.S. squad on Wednesday. This is the 1st selection for Miller and 2nd selection for Walker.
• YOUNG GUN: 21-year-old OF Julio Morban is the 5th youngest player in the Southern League. Morban currently is 3rd in the league with a .308 batting average is 5th in the league with a .485 slugging percentage.
• MR. JONES…MR. JONES: OF James Jones has hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games, batting .389 (14×36) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 2 home runs and 9 RBI. During this 9 game stretch his .389 average is the 2nd-highest in the Southern League.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of a doublheader on June 10th against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 49.3% of base stealers (37 CS, 75 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 32.2% of base runners.