Game Central (Tuesday, July 2) vs. Birmingham
Game #78: Jackson Generals (5-6, 34-43) vs. Birmingham Barons (7-6, 51-32)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (3-3, 3.83) vs. LHP Spencer Arroyo (6-4, 3.65)
Promotions: Paint the Park Purple Alzheimer’s Awareness Night
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a homestand tonight with game #4 of the 5-game series against the Birmingham Barons (2-1). This is the 3rd and final series between the North Division rivals with Jackson leading the season series 7-6…Since 2008, the Generals are 31-15 at home against Birmingham… 25-year-old lefty James Gillheeney starts game 4 of the series…this is his 15th start of the season and 10th for Jackson…this is his 3rd career start against Birmingham and he is 1-0 with a 1.64 ERA in those starts
GENERALS RECAP: SS Chris Taylor knocked in the Generals only run in the bottom of the 6th inning as Jackson lost to Birmingham 1-4 on Monday night. Starter Anthony Vasquez (6.0,4,1,1,1,2) allowed a run in the top of the first inning and then held the Barons scoreless over the next 5.0 innings. Overall he allowed 1 run on 4 hit and struck out 2 in 6.0 innings. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (2.0,2,0,0,2,4) tossed 2.0 scoreless innings, while LH Nick Hill (1.0,3,3,3,1,2 recorded the loss after allowing 3 runs in the top of the 9th inning. Taylor (2×4) recorded the team’s only multi-hit game.
DID YOU KNOW?…that with 2 hits last night from Chris Taylor he now has 102 hits this season combined between A+ High Desert and Jackson. Taylor is the first Mariner farmhand to 100 hits and is 1 of just 17 minor leaguers to reach the century mark in hits this season.
NEWS & NOTES: 30 of first 77 games have been 1-run games (10-20) which is the 2nd in all of minors…43 of 77 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (14-29) and 7 have been extra-inning games (2-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 20-14.
• ALUMNI REPORT: RHP Taijuan Walker has tossed 11.0 scoreless innings over his first 2 AAA starts including 5 scoreless innings with 8 strikeouts last night vs. Colorado Springs. He has limited opponents to a .132 (5×38) average, while walking 4 and striking out 12. He is currently the youngest player in the PCL this season and 2nd-youngest in Triple-A.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 17 at Bragan Field at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• FIRST TO 100 HITS: SS Chris Taylor has recorded 7 hits in his last 13 at-bats (.538) with 3 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBI and 1 stolen base. Overall he has hit safely in 8 of 10 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .308 (12×39) with 7 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 5 RBI, 5 walks and 3 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits and is 1 of 17 minor league players this season to crack the century mark.
• CLOSING TIME: RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 19 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.77 ERA (4 ER, 19.1 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 3.46. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 22 of 25 games, including recording 8 strikeouts over his last 3 appearances.
• MILLER, WALKER TO THE FUTURES GAME: 2013 Generals Taijuan Walker and Brad Miller were selected to the Futures Game U.S. squad on Wednesday. This is the 1st selection for Miller and 2nd selection for Walker.
• YOUNG GUN: 21-year-old OF Julio Morban is the 5th youngest player in the Southern League. Morban currently is 3rd in the league with a .308 batting average is 5th in the league with a .485 slugging percentage.
• MR. JONES, MR. JONES: OF James Jones has hit safely in 8 of his last 10 games, batting .350 (14×40) with 5 runs scored, 1 2B, 2 HR and 9 RBI.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of a doublheader on June 10th against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 50.6% of base stealers (39 CS, 77 Att). The next closest is Mobile which is throwing out 32.2% of base runners.