Game Central (Wednesday, July 3) vs. Birmingham
Game #79: Jackson Generals (6-6, 35-43) vs. Birmingham Barons (7-7, 51-33)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Chance Ruffin (4-2, 3.38) vs. RHP Michael Nix (1-1, 3.86)
Promotions: Independence Day Fireworks (Physicians Quality Care), Mariners Madness Hotel and Ticket Giveway vs. STL, Postgame Kimberly Helton Band Concert (Leaders Credit Union)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals end their homestand tonight with the final game of the 5-game series against the Birmingham Barons (3-1). This is the 3rd and final series between the North Division rivals with Jackson leading the season series 8-6…Since 2008, the Generals are 32-15 at home against Birmingham… Former Detroit Tigers’ pitcher Chance Ruffin gets the start for Jackson…this is his 14th start of the season and 3rd start against Birmingham this season. He is 0-1 and has given up 3 HR in 9.2 innings thus far vs. BIR.
GENERALS RECAP: With one out in the bottom of the 15th inning LF James Jones hit a walkoff single scoring RF Julio Morban as Jackson defeated Birmingham 3-2 on Tuesday night. The game was the longest this season for the Generals at 4 hours and 41 minutes. Jones (2×6, 2B, RBI, BB), Morban (2×6, 2 R, 2B, BB) and 2B Chris Taylor (2×6, BB) each recorded 2 of the Generals 9 hits. 3B/1B Ramon Morla (1×6, 2B, 2 RBI) knocked in a run in each the 1st and 5th inning. Starter Jimmy Gillheeney (7.1,3,2,2,3,4,HR) allowed 2 runs on 3 hits in 7.1 innings, but did not figure into the decision. He surrendered his first hit with 2 outs in the 7th and surrendered his first runs in the 8th. Relievers RH Tyler Burgoon (1.0,0,0,0,2,1), RH Carson Smith (1.2,0,0,0,1,1), LH Kyle Hunter (2.2,1,0,0,0,3) and RH Andrew Kittredge (2.1,1,0,0,2,1) combined to hold the Barons scoreless over the final 7.2 innings. Kittredge recorded his first AA win after tossing 2.1 scoreless innings.
DID YOU KNOW?…that last night’s 15-inning 4:41 game was the longest game at The Ballpark in Jackson since April 15, 2012 vs. Missisippi which the Generals lost 4-3 in 16 innings in 5:03…Also last night’s win earned the series win for Jackson which is the first series won this season that has not reached the rubber game.
NEWS & NOTES: 31 of first 78 games have been 1-run games (11-20) which is the 2nd in all of minors…44 of 78 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (15-29) and 8 have been extra-inning games (3-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 20-14.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma LH Bobby LaFromboise has yet to allow an earned run over 26 appearances (40.2 IP) at Cheney since his Tacoma debut, June 20, 2012.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• MR. JONES…MR. JONES: OF James Jones recorded his 2nd walk-off hit last night and he has hit safely in 9 of his last 11 games, batting .348 (16×46) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs and 10 RBI.
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 17 at Bragan Field at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• FIRST TO 100 HITS: SS Chris Taylor has recorded 9 hits in his last 19 at-bats (.474) with 3 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBI and 1 stolen base. Overall he has hit safely in 9 of 11 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .311 (14×45) with 7 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 5 RBI, 6 walks and 3 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits and is 1 of 17 minor league players this season to crack the century mark.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 20 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.71 ERA (4 ER, 21.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.96. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 23 of 26 games, including recording 9 strikeouts over his last 4 appearances.
• CHOI ADDED TO FUTURES GAME: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi was added a replacement for the World team at the Futures Game on July 14th at Citi Field in New York. Choi joins RHP Taijuan Walker at the game as Walke will be on the U.S. roster.
• YOUNG GUN: 21-year-old OF Julio Morban is the 5th youngest player in the Southern League. Morban currently is 3rd in the league with a .309 batting average is 4th in the league with a .485 slugging percentage.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.