Game Central (Thursday, July 4) at Pensacola
Game #80: Jackson Generals (6-6, 35-43) at Pensacola Blue Wahoos (8-7, 53-51)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (5-3, 5.27) vs. RHP Shaun Ellis (2-1, 3.76)
Radio: Pregame Show (3:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals begin a road series this afternoon with game #1 of a 5-game series at Pensacola…this is the 2nd and final series between the clubs with Pensacola leading the season series 3-2…2-year-old Anthony Fernandez makes his 12th start of the year vs. Pensacola in game 1 of the series…This is Fernandez’ 2nd career start against Pensacola. In his 2nd AA start in 2012 Fernandez tossed a 2-hit shutout at PNS on 6/28/12 and threw just 99 pitches in the shutout.
GENERALS RECAP: CF Leon Landry hit a 2-run home run and C Michael Dowd recorded 3 hits, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson lost to Birmingham 7-2 on Wednesday night. Dowd (3×4, R, 2B) and Landry (2×4, R, HR, 2 RBI) combined for 5 of the team’s 9 hits with 2 runs scored, 2 extra-base hits and 2 RBI. Starter Chance Ruffin (4.0,7,5,4,2,3,2HR) recorded his 3rd loss of the season, allowing 5 runs (4 R) on 7 hits in 4.0 innings. RH Moises Hernandez (4.0,3,2,2,0,2) allowed 2 runs on 3 hits in 4.0 innings in relief, while RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,1,0,0,1,0) tossed a scoreless 9th inning.
DID YOU KNOW?…that last night’s 15-inning 4:41 game was the longest game at The Ballpark in Jackson since April 15, 2012 vs. Missisippi which the Generals lost 4-3 in 16 innings in 5:03…Also last night’s win earned the series win for Jackson which is the first series won this season that has not reached the rubber game.
NEWS & NOTES: 31 of first 78 games have been 1-run games (11-20) which is the 2nd in all of minors…44 of 78 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (15-29) and 8 have been extra-inning games (3-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 20-14.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma OF Stefen Romero has hit safely in his last 3 games with 2 multi-hit contests, batting .500
(6×12) with 3 runs scored, 1 double and 3 RBI.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• MR. JONES…MR. JONES: OF James Jones has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games, batting .347 (17×49) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs and 10 RBI..
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 17 at Bragan Field at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• FIRST TO 100 HITS: SS Chris Taylor currently has a 5-game hitting streak, batting .455 (10×22) with 3 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBI and 2 stolen bases. Overall he has hit safely in 10 of 12 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .313 (15×48) with 7 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 5 RBI, 7 walks and 4 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits and is 1 of 23 minor league players this season to crack the century mark.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 20 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.71 ERA (4 ER, 21.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.96. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 23 of 26 games, including recording 9 strikeouts over his last 4 appearances.
• CHOI ADDED TO FUTURES GAME: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi was added a replacement for the World team at the Futures Game on July 14th at Citi Field in New York. Choi joins RHP Taijuan Walker at the game as Walke will be on the U.S. roster.
• YOUNG GUN: 21-year-old OF Julio Morban is the 5th youngest player in the Southern League. Morban currently is 3rd in the league with a .309 batting average is 4th in the league with a .485 slugging percentage.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of a doublheader on June 10th against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.