Game Central (Friday, July 5) at Pensacola
Game #81: Jackson Generals (6-8, 35-45) at Pensacola Blue Wahoos (9-7, 34-51)
Site: Pensacola Bayfront Stadium – Pensacola, FL
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (4-7, 2.96) vs. RHP Tim Crabbe (3-6, 3.53)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a road series tonight with game #2 of a 5-game series at Pensacola (0-1)…this is the 2nd and final series between the clubs with Pensacola leading the season series 4-2…In his first starts since being named a SL All-Star, 24-year-old Roenis Elias makes his 16th start for the Generals and 2nd of the season vs. Pensacola. This is his 50th overall start in his pro career. Elias finished the month of June 2-2, with a 2.43 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals held a 1-0 lead through 5 innings, but allowed 2 runs in the bottom of the 6th inning as Jackson lost to Pensascola 2-1 on Thursday. 2B Chris Taylor (1×3, R, BB) and 1B Ji-Man Choi (1×3) each recorded 1 of the team’s 2 hits. Starter Anthony Fernandez (7.0,5,2,2,1,5) recorded his 4th loss of the season, allowing 2 runs on 5 hits in 7.0 innings. He tossed 5.0 scoreless before allowing 2 runs in the bottom of the 6th inning. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (1.0,1,0,0,0,1) tossed a scoreless 8th inning in relief.
DID YOU KNOW?…that yesterday’s 2-1 loss to Pensacola in 1 hour 56 minutes was the 2nd-fastest game in Jackson franchise history. The fastest game in franchise history was on June 6, 2006 vs. Tennessee.
NEWS & NOTES: 32 of first 80 games have been 1-run games (11-21) which is the 2nd in all of minors…45 of 80 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (15-30) and 8 have been extra-inning games (3-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 20-14.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma RHP Taijuan Walker is has tossed 11.0 scoreless innings over his first 2 AAA starts. He has limited opponents to a .132 (5×38) average, while walking 4 and striking out 12. He is currently the youngest player in the PCL and 2nd-youngest in Triple-A.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• MR. JONES…MR. JONES: OF James Jones has hit safely in 10 of his last 13 games, batting .327 (17×52) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs and 10 RBI.
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 17 at Bragan Field at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP HITS: SS Chris Taylor currently has a 6-game hitting streak, batting .440 (11×25) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBI and 2 stolen bases. Overall he has hit safely in 11 of 13 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .314 (16×51) with 8 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 5 RBI, 8 walks and 4 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 20 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.71 ERA (4 ER, 21.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.96. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 23 of 26 games, including recording 9 strikeouts over his last 4 appearances.
• CHOI ADDED TO FUTURES GAME: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi was added a replacement for the World team at the Futures Game on July 14th at Citi Field in New York. Choi joins RHP Taijuan Walker at the game as Walke will be on the U.S. roster.
• YOUNG GUN: 21-year-old OF Julio Morban is the 5th youngest player in the Southern League. Morban currently is 3rd in the league with a .303 batting average is 5th in the league with a .472 slugging percentage.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.
• NORIEGA’S SPORTS CENTER LOVE: The 6-3 triple play started by Gabriel Noriega to end game one of a doublheader on June 10th against Chattanooga was Monday night’s #3 play on ESPN Sports Center’s top 10 plays.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.9% of base stealers (42 CS, 81 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 34.7% of base runners.