Game Central (Sunday, July 7) at Pensacola
PHOTO OF THE DAY:
Game #83: Jackson Generals (8-8, 37-45) at Pensacola Blue Wahoos (9-9, 34-53)
Site: Pensacola Bayfront Stadium – Pensacola, FL
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (3-3, 3.63) vs. RHP Daniel Renken (2-6, 3.87)
Radio: Pregame Show (3:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a road series this afternoon with game #4 of the 5-game series at Pensacola (2-1)…this is the 2nd and final series between the clubs with the series tied at 2-2… 25-year-old lefty James Gillheeney starts game 4 of the series….He is 0-0 with a with a 1.50 ERA against Pensacola…Gillheeney made 6 appearances and 5 starts for Triple-A Tacoma this season posting a 2-2 record with a 4.50 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: The Jackson Generals snatched a doubleheader sweep Saturday night posting 2 shutout wins over Pensacola. Jackson got its 6th and 7th shutouts of the season with a 3-0 win in the first game. The visitors then put together an impressive encore in the second game, posting a 5-0 victory. The Generals combined to out-hit the Blue Wahoos in the 2 games, 17-3. In game 1, C John Hicks, CF Denny Almonte and 2B Gabriel Noriega each knocked in back-to-back-to-back RBI in a 3-run 3rd inning as the Generals defeated Pensacola 3-0on Saturday. Starter Roenis Elias (6.0,2,0,0,1,8) recorded his 5th win of the season with 8 strikeouts in 6.0 scoreless innings. RH Carson Smith (1.0,0,0,0,0,1) struck out 1 in a 1-2-3 9th inning to earn his 9th save of the season. Hicks (1×2, RBI), Almonte (1×3, 2B, RBI), Noriega (1×3, RBI), 3B Steven Proscia (1×3, R) and 1B Ji-Man Choi (1×2, R, BB) each recorded 1 of the team’s 5 hits. In game 2, Starter Anthony Vasquez and LH Nick Hill combined on a 1-hit shutout as Jackson defeated Pensacola 5-0. Vasquez (6.0,1,0,0,3,3) allowed only a 1-out single in the 4th inning, while tossing 6.0 scoreless innings. Hill (1.0,0,0,0,1,1) walked 1 and struck out 1 in a scoreless 7th inning to secure the victory. 2B Gabriel Noriega (3×3, R) led the team with 3 hits, while SS Chris Taylor (2×4, R), 3B Ramon Morla (2×4, RBI and LF Jack Marder (2×3, 2 R) each recorded 2 ofJackson’s 12 hits. 1B Steven Proscia (1×3, 2 RBI) kncoked in a team-high 2 runs.
NEWS & NOTES: 32 of first 82 games have been 1-run games (11-21) which is the 3rd in all of minors…45 of 82 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (15-30) and 8 have been extra-inning games (3-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 22-14.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Tacoma 1B Rich Poythress has hit safely in 6 of his last 7 games, batting .357 (10×28) with 3 runs scored, 2 doubles and 4 RBI.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• HUNTER EXCELLING IN RELIEF ROLE: LH Kyle Hunter has held oppoents scoreless in 18 of 21 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 1-0 with 1 save and a 1.32 ERA (4 ER, 27.1 IP). He has limited opponents to a .216 (22×102), while walking 6 and striking out 17.
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 17 at Bragan Field at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP HITS: SS Chris Taylor has hit safely in 7 of his last 8 games with 5 multi-hit outings, batting batting .406 (13×32) with 5 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBI, 3 stolen bases and 4 walks. Overall he has hit safely in 12 of 15 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .310 (18×58) with 9 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 5 RBI, 9 walks and 5 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 21 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.64 ERA (4 ER, 22.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.86. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 24 of 27 games, including recording 10 strikeouts over his last 5 appearances.
• CHOI ADDED TO FUTURES GAME: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi was added a replacement for the World team at the Futures Game on July 14th at Citi Field in New York. Choi joins RHP Taijuan Walker at the game as Walke will be on the U.S. roster.
• THE THREE CAVALIERS: With the addition of INF Chris Taylor at the start the 2nd half, the Generals current roster features 3 former Virginia Cavaliers in Taylor INF Steven Proscia and C John Hicks. AAA Tacoma’s roster features 2 former UVA alums in pitcher’s Andrew Carraway and Danny Hultzen. Both were 2012 Generals.