Game Central (Monday, July 8) at Pensacola
PHOTO OF THE DAY:
Game #84: Jackson Generals (9-8, 38-45) at Pensacola Blue Wahoos (9-10, 34-54)
Site: Pensacola Bayfront Stadium – Pensacola, FL
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: RHP Chance Ruffin (4-3, 3.66) vs. RHP Josh Smith (7-6, 3.47)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals conclude a road series this afternoon with the finale of the 5-game series at Pensacola (3-1)…this is the 2nd and final series between the clubs with Jackson leading the season series 5-4… 24-year-old Chance Ruffin makes his 15th career start and 15th of the season tonight. This is Ruffin’s 2nd start against Pensacola. He has no record with a 1.29 ERA.
DID YOU KNOW?: that the Generals are riding just their 2nd 3-game winning streak of the season. The last winning streak of 3 or more was April 12-15 vs. Montgomery and Mississippi and was part of a season-long 4-game winning streak…Also, DID YOU KNOW? that the Generals back-to-back shutouts in Saturday’s doubleheader was the first in franchise history in a twin bill. It was also only the 3rd time since 2005 Jackson has posted consecutive shutouts.
GENERALS RECAP: After allowing 3 run in the bottom of the 7th inning, the Generals scored 2 run in the top of the 8th inning to regain the lead as Jackson defeated Pensacola 5-4 on Sunday afternoon. Starter Jimmy Gillheeney (2.0,1,0,0,1,2) allowed 1 hit and 1 walk over 2.0 scoreless innings, but didn’t return after a 1 hour and 33 minute rain delay. LH Kyle Hunter (4.2,2,1,1,1,2,HR) allowed 1 run over 4.0 innings in relief, while RH Andrew Kittredge (0.1,4,3,3,0,1) allowed 3 runs in the bottom of the 7th inning recording only 1 out. RH Tyler Burgoon (1.2,1,0,0,1,2) earned his 4th win of the season after tossing 1.2 scoreless innings, while RH Carson Smith (1.0,1,0,0,0,2) struck out 2 in a scoreless 9th inning to earn his 10th save of the season. 2B Chris Taylor (2×4, R, 2B, BB), RF James Jones (2×5) and LF Jack Marder (2×4) each recorded 2 of the team’s 10 hits.
NEWS & NOTES: 33 of first 83 games have been 1-run games (12-21) which is the 3rd in all of minors…46 of 83 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (16-30) and 8 have been extra-inning games (3-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 22-14.
• ALUMNI REPORT: RHP Taijuan Walker gave up his first AAA run allowing 1 run in 5 innings at Salt Lake Sunday. He has a 0.56 ERA (1 ER/ 16 IP) in 3 starts w/ Tacoma.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• BLACK JACK HOT IN JULY: INF Jack Marder hit .194 in April, .188 in May and .167 in June but has opened the month of July batting .375 (6×16) with 2 runs scored.
• SECOND HALF SURGE: After batting just .191 in the first half, INF Steven Proscia is batting .324 (12×37) with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 8 RBI. Proscia leads the club with 7 home runs on the season.
• HUNTER EXCELLING IN RELIEF ROLE: LH Kyle Hunter has held oppoents scoreless in 18 of 22 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 1-0 with 1 save and a 1.44 ERA (5 ER, 31.1 IP). He has limited opponents to a .209 (24×115), while walking 7 and striking out 19.
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 17 at Bragan Field at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor has hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games with 6 multi-hit outings, batting batting .417 (15×36) with 6 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBI, 3 stolen bases and 5 walks. Overall he has hit safely in 13 of 16 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .323 (20×62) with 10 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 5 RBI, 10 walks and 5 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 21 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.64 ERA (4 ER, 22.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.86. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 24 of 27 games, including recording 10 strikeouts over his last 5 appearances.
• CHOI ADDED TO WORLD ROSTER IN FUTURES GAME: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi was added a replacement for the World team at the Futures Game on July 14th at Citi Field in New York. Choi joins RHP Taijuan Walker at the game as Walker will be on the U.S. roster.