Game Central (Wednesday, July 10) vs. Tennessee
Pregame Interview with Manager Jim Pankovits:
Game #85, 86: Jackson Generals (10-8, 39-45) vs. Tennessee Smokies (10-8, 44-43)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 5:30 p.m. DH
Susp. Game: RHP Moises Hernandez (1-2, 5.76) vs. P.J. Francescon (0-0,3.18)
Game 2: LHP Anthony Fernandez (5-4, 4.96) vs. LHP Eric Jokisch (7-7, 3.21)
Radio: Pregame Show (5:15) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
Game 1 Starting Lineup for Suspended Game:
Game 2 Starting Lineups TBA
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals begin a 7-game series in 5 days against the Smokies today with a doubleheader that includes the conclusion of a suspended 7-inning game from June 28 at Tennessee with the Smokies up 2-1 in the bottom of the 2nd…30 minutes following the completion there will another 7-inning game. 29-year-old RHP Moises Hernandez will pick up the game on the mound in game 1 while 22-year-old LHP Anthony Fernandez makes his 13th start of the year, 89th of his career and 26th for the Generals in game 2.
DID YOU KNOW?: that during the conclusion of the suspended game today the Generals will serve as the visiting team. The game began at Smokies Park on June 28 before rain suspended the game in the bottom of the 2nd inning. Also, the Smokies Park attendance from June 28 will be the attendance for the game. The Generals will be the home team for the remainder of the series including the other rescheduled game from the series at Tennessee on Friday.
GENERALS RECAP: LF Jack Marder hit a 2-run home run in the top of the 2nd inning as Jackson held of for a 3-2 win over Pensacola on Monday night. 1B Steven Proscia (1×4, RBI) knocked in the Generals 3rd run of the game with a RBI single in the in the 3rd inning. Marder (1×2, R, HR, 2 RBI), Proscia, 2B Chris Taylor (1×3, R) and 3B Ramon Morla (1×3, R) each recorded one of the team’s 4 hits. Starter Chance Ruffin (3.0,6,2,2,2,3) allowed 2 runs on 6 hits in 3.0 innings, but didn’t figure into the decision. Relievers RH Stephen Kohlscheen (3.1,0,0,0,1,2), LH Nick Hill (1.0,2,0,0,0,0) and RH Stephen Shackleford (1.2,0,0,0,3,2) combined to strike out 4 batters in 6.0 scoreless innings. Kohlscheen recorded his 3rd win with Jackson, while Shackleford earned his first save since being promoted to AA.
NEWS & NOTES: 34 of first 84 games have been 1-run games (13-21) which is the 5th in all of minors…47 of 84 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (17-30) and 8 have been extra-inning games (3-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 22-14.
• ALUMNI REPORT: SS Brad Miller was 3×5, 2 2B, 4 RBI last night vs. Boston and has recorded 6 extra-base hits (4 2B, 2 3B) in his first 11 Major League games. Overall, he is batting .275 (11×40) with 5 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 5 RBI, and 5 walks.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino, RHP Carter Capps and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• BLACK JACK HOT IN JULY: INF Jack Marder hit .194 in April, .188 in May and .167 in June but has opened the month of July batting .389 (7×18) with 1 home run, 2 RBI and 3 runs scored.
• SECOND HALF SURGE: After batting just .191 in the first half, INF Steven Proscia is batting .317 (13×41) with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 9 RBI. Proscia leads the club with 7 home runs on the season.
• HUNTER EXCELLING IN RELIEF ROLE: LH Kyle Hunter has held oppoents scoreless in 18 of 22 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 1-0 with 1 save and a 1.44 ERA (5 ER, 31.1 IP). He has limited opponents to a .209 (24×115), while walking 7 and striking out 19.
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 17 at Bragan Field at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor has hit safely in 9 of his last 10 games with 6 multi-hit outings, batting batting .410 (16×39) with 7 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 4 RBI, 3 stolen bases and 5 walks. Overall he has hit safely in 14 of 17 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .323 (21×65) with 11 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 5 RBI, 10 walks and 5 stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 21 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.64 ERA (4 ER, 22.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.86. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 24 of 27 games, including recording 10 strikeouts over his last 5 appearances.
• CHOI ADDED TO WORLD ROSTER IN FUTURES GAME: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi was added a replacement for the World team at the Futures Game on July 14th at Citi Field in New York. Choi joins RHP Taijuan Walker at the game as Walker will be on the U.S. roster.