Game Central (Thursday, July 11) vs. Tennessee
Game #87: Jackson Generals (10-10, 39-47) vs. Tennessee Smokies (12-8, 46-43)
Site: The Ballpark at Jackson – Jackson, TN
Time: 7:05 p.m.
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (5-7, 2.77) vs. RHP Alberto Cabrera (8-3, 3.32)
Promotions: Dollar Thursday (MobileNation), Postgame Concert by BoomNation
Radio: Pregame Show (5:15) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 7-game series in 5 days against the Tennessee Smokies today with game #3 of the series (0-2)…the Generals are 3-12 against the Smokies this season and 1-6 against TNS at home this season… 24-year-old LHP Roenis Elias makes his 17th start for the Generals and 3rd of the season vs. TNS. This is his 50th overall start in his career. Elias was named a Southern League All-Star last week. Elias ranks 9th in the SL with a 2.77 ERA.
GENERALS RECAP: The first 2 games of a 7-game set with Tennessee did not go in Jackson’s direction, as the Smokies took both against the Generals with scores of 7-2 and 5-2. The first game was the completion of the June 28th game between the 2 teams that was cancelled because of rain. Jackson’s season-high 4-game win streak was brought to an end with the loss. In game 1, 3B Ramon Morla (2×3, R, 2B) recorded the team’s only multi-hit game, while LF Jack Marder (1×2, RBI) and DH Leon Landry (1×2, RBI, BB) each knocked in 1 of the Generals 2 runs. Starter Chance Ruffin took the loss. RH Moises Hernandez (4.1,7,4,4,2,1) and RH Andrew Kittredge (0.1,2,1,1,0,1) combined to allow 5 runs over the final 5.2 innings in relief. In game 2, SS Chris Taylor (1×3, R, HR, RBI, BB) hit a lead off home run to give Jackson an early 1-0 lead. Taylor, 2B Gabriel Noriega (1×4), RF James Jones (1×3, BB, SB), DH Ji-Man Choi (1×2, R, 2B, BB), LF Jack Marder (1×2, RBI, SF) and CF Leon Landry (1×3) each recorded 1 of the Generals 5 hits. Starter Anthony Fernandez (5.0,2,5,4,4,4,2HR) recorded his 5th loss of the season, allowing 4 runs on 2 hits in 5.0 innings. LH Nick Hill (1.0,1,0,0,1,1) and RH Tyler Burgoon (1.0,0,0,0,0,1) combined to hold the Smokies scoreless over the final 2.0 innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 34 of first 86 games have been 1-run games (13-21) which is the 5th in all of minors…47 of 86 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (17-30) and 8 have been extra-inning games (3-5)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 22-16.
• TRANSACTIONS: today the Generals added starting pitcher RHP Trevor Miller from A+ High Desert and RHP Chance Ruffin was promoted to AAA Tacoma.
• ALUMNI REPORT: RHP Taijuan Walker tossed 14.0 scoreless innings over his first 3 AAA starts, before allowing a solo home run in the 5th inning on July 7 at Salt Lake. Overall he is 2-0 with a 0.56 ERA (1 ER, 16.0 IP) in 3 starts with Tacoma.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (6) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (3) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller).
• BLACK JACK HOT IN JULY: INF Jack Marder hit .194 in April, .188 in May and .167 in June but has opened the month of July batting .400 (8×20) with 1 home run, 3 RBI and 3 runs scored.
• SECOND HALF SURGE: After batting just .191 in the first half, INF Steven Proscia is batting .302 (13×43) with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 9 RBI. Proscia leads the club with 7 home runs on the season.
• HUNTER EXCELLING IN RELIEF ROLE: LH Kyle Hunter has held oppoents scoreless in 18 of 22 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 1-0 with 1 save and a 1.44 ERA (5 ER, 31.1 IP). He has limited opponents to a .209 (24×115), while walking 7 and striking out 19.
• HEY NOW, YOU’RE AN ALL-STAR: OF Julio Morban, OF James Jones and LHP Roenis Elias will represent Jackson on the North Division roster for the 2013 Southern League All-Star Game, which is scheduled for July 17 at Bragan Field at Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. RHP Taijuan Walker was also selected to the roster, but is unable to play due to his recent promotion to AAA Tacoma.
• TAYLOR ADDING UP THE HITS: SS Chris Taylor has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games with 6 multi-hit outings, batting batting .405 (17×42) with 8 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 3 stolen bases and 6 walks. Overall he has hit safely in 15 of 19 games after being promoted to Jackson from High Desert, batting .310 (22×71) with 12 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 1 home run, 5 RBI, 11 walks and 5stolen bases. Taylor recorded his 100th hit of the season on June 30 vs. Birmingham. He was the first Mariners farmhand to record at least 100 hits.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 4 earned runs over his last 21 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 5 saves and a 1.64 ERA (4 ER, 22.0 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.86. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 24 of 27 games, including recording 10 strikeouts over his last 5 appearances.
• CHOI ADDED TO WORLD ROSTER IN FUTURES GAME: Generals 1B Ji-Man Choi was added a replacement for the World team at the Futures Game on July 14th at Citi Field in New York. Choi joins RHP Taijuan Walker at the game as Walker will be on the U.S. roster.