Game #104: Jackson Generals (18-19, 47-56) at Mobile BayBears (20-20, 59-50)
Streak: Won 3
Site: Hank Aaron Stadium – Mobile, AL
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (4-5, 4.02) vs. RHP Archie Bradley (6-5, 2.28)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals begin a 12-game road trip in 10 days with game #1 of a 5-game series with the Mobile BayBears…the Generals have won 3 straight series’ coming in and are 8-5 since the All-Star break…Jackson is 3-2 against Mobile this season and will play 10 games at Hank Aaron Stadium during the month of August… 25-year-old LHP James Gillheeney starts the series opener…This is his 107th career start and 2nd against Mobile. Gillheeney made 1 start in 2011 and 1 start in 2012 vs. MOB (0-0, 3.00)
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 5 runs over the first 3 innings, including a 2-run home run by LF Joe Dunigan in a 3-run 3rd innings as Jackson defeated Huntsville 5-2 on Thursday night. Dunigan (2×4, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI), who recently returned from the DL, hit his first home run with Jackson and also led the team with 2 hits. 2B Chris Taylor (1×5, R), RF James Jones (1×1, 2 BB), DH Ji-Man Choi (1×2, R, 2B, RBI, 2 BB), C John Hicks (1×3, R, 2B, RBI, BB), 1B Daniel Paolini (1×3, 2B, RBI, BB) and SS Gabriel Noriega (1×3, BB) each recorded 1 of the team’s 8 hits. Starter Trevor Miller (6.0,5,2,2,2,4,HR) recorded his first career AA win, allowing 2 runs on 5 hits in 6.0 innings. LH Kyle Hunter (1.2,2,0,0,1,2) and RH Carson Smith (1.1,1,0,0,0,2) combined to strikeout 4 batters over the final 3.0 innings in relief. Smith recorded his 11 save of the season after recording the final 4 outs in the game.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .395 (17×43) with 6 runs scored, 8 extra-base hits (4-2B, 2-3B, 2-HR), 14 RBI and 10 walks in last 12 games.
• C John Hicks has hit safely in 7 of his last 8 games, batting .370 (10×27) with 4 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run, 5 RBI and 8 walks..
• LHP Anthony Fernandez went 2-2 with a 2.30 ERA (8 ER, 31.1 IP) in 5 starts in July.
• LHP Roenis Elias is 2-2 with a 3.22 ERA in the month of July and has 32 strikeouts in 22.1 innings including 18 in his last 10.1 innings pitched. Elias is T-1st in the Southern League with 107 strikeouts.
• RH Dominic Leone has tossed 6.1 scoreless innings since being promoted to Jackson from High Desert. He has limited opponents to a .095 average (2×21), while walking 0 and striking out 9 in 5 relief appearances. Dating back to June 16 with High Desert, Leone has tossed 16.2 scoreless innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 103 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the T-8th in all of minors…53 of 103 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-34) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 28-21.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2009 and 2010 Jackson INF Carlos Triunfel has hit safey in each of his last 6 games, batting .318 (7×22) with 1 runs scored, 1 double, 2 RBI and 2 walks for AAA Tacoma.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: The Generals have blasted 4 grand slams this season including the last 2 from Ji-Man Choi. (5/10 at HVL, top 3rd Brad Miller, 6/23 v MOB, btm 3rd Ramon Morla, 6/29 v BIR, btm 5th, 7/31 v HVL, btm 6 Ji-Man Choi (2).
• CHOI HAS “SWAG” WITH THE BASES LOADED: Ji-Man Choi is 5-for-6 (.833) with 2 grand slams, a triple and 14 RBIs with the bases loaded this season.
• ON THE ROAD AGAIN: The Generals will play 17 of their final 27 games on the road including 10 games in Mobile. The Generals are in the midst of their longest road trip of the season, 12 games in 10 days to Mobile and Mississippi. Jackson closes out the regular season with a 5-game series in Huntsville.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple last Wednesday in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days that started on July 23 to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 at The Ballpark in Jackson. Jackson’s next off day is scheduled for August 12.
• WE GOTCHA!!…Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.3% of base stealers (56 CS, 107 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 33.3% of base runners.