Game Central (Saturday, August 3) at Mobile
Game #105: Jackson Generals (18-20, 47-57) at Mobile BayBears (21-20, 60-50)
Streak: Lost 1
Site: Hank Aaron Stadium – Mobile, AL
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Roenis Elias (6-9, 3.01) vs. LHP Andrew Chafin (7-6, 2.82)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their 12-game road trip in 10 days with game #2 of a 5-game series with the Mobile BayBears (0-1)…the Generals have won 3 straight series’ coming in and are 8-6 since the All-Star break…Jackson is 3-3 against Mobile this season and will play 10 games at Hank Aaron Stadium during the month of August…24-year-old LHP Roenis Elias makes his team-leading 20th start for the Generals in game 2 of the series at Mobile. Elias is 1-7 with a 3.88 ERA at home as opposed to 5-2 with a 2.10 ERA on the road.
GENERALS RECAP: 2B Chris Taylor recorded 3 hits for the Generals, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson lost to Mobile 1-5 on Friday night. Taylor (3×4) recorded his 36th multi-hit game this season and 9 with Jackson. RF Julio Morban (1×4), C Michael Dowd (1×3, R) and SS Gabriel Noriega (1×2, 2B, RBI) each recorded 1 of the Generals 6 hits. Starter Jimmy Gillheeney (5.1,6,4,2,4,1,WP) recorded his 6th loss with Jackson, allowing 4 runs (2 ER) on 6 hts in 5.1 innings. RH Forrest Snow (1.2,0,0,0,1,2) walked 1 and struck out 1 in 1.2 hitless innings, while RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,1,1,1,2,0) allowed a run in the bottom of the 8th inning.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .370 (17×46) with 6 runs scored, 8 extra-base hits (4-2B, 2-3B, 2-HR), 14 RBI and 10 walks in last 12 games..
• C John Hicks has hit safely in 7 of his last 8 games, batting .370 (10×27) with 4 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run, 5 RBI and 8 walks..
• LHP Anthony Fernandez went 2-2 with a 2.30 ERA (8 ER, 31.1 IP) in 5 starts in July.
• LHP Roenis Elias is 2-2 with a 3.22 ERA in the month of July and has 32 strikeouts in 22.1 innings including 18 in his last 10.1 innings pitched. Elias is T-1st in the Southern League with 107 strikeouts.
• RH Dominic Leone has tossed 6.1 scoreless innings since being promoted to Jackson from High Desert. He has limited opponents to a .095 average (2×21), while walking 0 and striking out 9 in 5 relief appearances. Dating back to June 16 with High Desert, Leone has tossed 16.2 scoreless innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 37 of first 104 games have been 1-run games (15-22) which is the T-8th in all of minors…53 of 104 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (19-34) and 12 have been extra-inning games (4-8)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 28-22.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2011 and 2012 General INF/OF Nate Tenbrink has hit safely in 9 of his last 10 games, batting .371 (13×35) with 9 runs scored, 2 doubles, 4 home runs, 9 RBI, 8 walks and 1 stolen base for AAA Tacoma.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: The Generals have blasted 4 grand slams this season including the last 2 from Ji-Man Choi. (5/10 at HVL, top 3rd Brad Miller, 6/23 v MOB, btm 3rd Ramon Morla, 6/29 v BIR, btm 5th, 7/31 v HVL, btm 6 Ji-Man Choi (2).
• CHOI WITH THE BASES LOADED: Ji-Man Choi is 5-for-6 (.833) with 2 grand slams, a triple and 14 RBIs with the bases loaded this season.
• ON THE ROAD AGAIN: The Generals are playing 17 of their final 27 games on the road including 10 games in Mobile. The Generals are in the midst of their longest road trip of the season, 12 games in 10 days to Mobile and Mississippi. Jackson closes out the regular season with a 5-game series in Huntsville.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (7) players on the Seattle Mariners active roster that were members of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) and RHP Yoervis Medina, RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple last Wednesday in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• THE HOME STRETCH: The Generals are in the midst of playing 42 games in 42 days that started on July 23 to close out the regular season. 27 of those games will come on the road and 15 at The Ballpark in Jackson. Jackson’s next off day is scheduled for August 12.
• WE GOTCHA!!...Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.9% of base stealers (56 CS, 108 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 33.6% of base runners.
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).