Game Central (Friday, August 9) at M-Braves
Game #110: Jackson Generals (21-22, 50-59) at Mississippi Braves (24-22, 62-54)
Streak: Won 2
Site: Trustmark Park – Pearl, Miss
Time: 7:00 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (8-5, 4.01) vs. RHP Mitch Atkins (3-1, 2.66)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their 10-game road trip (3-3) with game #4 of a 7-game series in 5 days at the Mississippi Braves (2-1)…the Generals have won 5 of their last 7 series’ and are 11-8 since the All-Star break…Jackson is 5-6 against Mississippi this season and are 3-5 at Trustmark Park this season.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals swept a doubleheader from Mississippi on Thursday night by winning game 1, 4-1 and taking the nightcap, 6-0. In game 1 Gabriel Noriega (1-4, 2B, 2 RBI) Chris Taylor (3-4, R), Leon Landry (2-2, R, BB), Dan Paolini (2-4, 2B, 2 RBI) and Julio Morban (2-4) combined for Jackson’s 14 hits in game 1. The nightcap was all about the top of the Generals’ lineup. The first 4 hitters, Taylor (2-4, 2 R, 2B), Landry (2-3, 2 R, RBI, 2B), Morban (2-3, R, RBI, BB, 2B) and Ramon Morla (2-4, 4 RBI, 2B, 3B), combined to go 8-for-14, scoring 5 of the 6 runs and added 4 doubles. James Gillheeney (W, 5-6, 4.07) threw only 65 pitches in five innings, allowing a run on six hits earning the win in game 1. Carson Smith (S, 2.14) notched his 13th save with 2 perfect innings, including 4 strikeouts, to finish the game. In Smith’s last 8.2 innings, he has recorded 14 strikeouts, allowing only 4 hits and no runs. Kyle Hunter (W, 2-0, 1.13) made his 29th appearance on the mound and his 3rd start in game 2. Hunter kept the Braves off the scoreboard in 5 innings, giving up only 4 hits to earn his 2nd win. The lefty fanned 2 and walked 1. The bullpen finished the 6th and 7th on the way to the Generals 9th shutout of the season.
• INF Chris Taylor has hit in 3 straight and 7 of his last 8 games. After batting just .247 in July, Taylor has begun the month of August batting .400 (12×30) with 6 runs scored. 2 walks and 2 stolen bases.
• OF Leon Landry snapped an 0-for-28 slump Thursday by going 4-for-5 with 3 runs, a double, walk and stolen base during the doubleheader at Mississippi. Landry’s last hit came on July 26 at Chattanooga in his final at-bat before Thursday.
• INF Ramon Morla is currently riding a 5-game hitting streak. During the streak he is batting .429 (6×14) with 4 runs, 1 double, 1 triple and 5 RBI. In 18 road games he is batting .324 with 11 runs, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs and 12 RBI.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 8 straight and in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .400 (16×40) with 12 runs, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 6 RBI, 5 BB and 1 SB. In August Morban is batting .417 (10×24) with 3 runs, 2 doubles and 3 RBI and has recorded 4 straight multi-hit games.
• INF Ji-Man Choi is batting .339 (20×59) with 6 runs scored, 8 extra-base hits (4-2B, 2-3B, 2-HR), 14 RBI and 12 walks in last 14 games.
• After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 32 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 8 saves and a 1.24 ERA (5 ER, 36.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.14. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 33 of 38 games. Smith has gone more than 1.0 IP for 6 of 13 saves including the last 3.
NEWS & NOTES: 38 of first 109 games have been 1-run games (15-23) which is the 8th in all of minors…56 of 109 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (20-35) and 13 have been extra-inning games (4-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 30-22.
• 29 GAMES IN 27 DAYS: The Generals close out the 2013 regular season by playing 29 games in 27 days, which began Wednesday in Mississippi. The final stretch of games include 19 games against South division opponents and 10 against North division opponents.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals play 6 games in 4 days this weekend in Mississippi, then play 7 games in 5 days August 18-22 when the Generals return to Mobile Jackson leads the league by playing 16 doubleheader games so far this season and has a 9-9 record in those games. The Generals have been rained out 16 times this season and had 3 games suspended.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-ManChoi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash belted a solo home run in the 2nd inning Saturday in his first AA at-bat. He joins Tennessee’s Javier Baez as the only Southern League player this year to homer in their AA debut. Blash has a hit in each of his first 4 Double-A games.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.2% of base stealers (60 CS, 115 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 33.1% of base stealers.