Game Central (Saturday, August 10) at M-Braves
Game #111/112: Jackson Generals (21-23, 50-60) at Mississippi Braves (25-22, 63-54)
Streak: Lost 1
Site: Trustmark Park – Pearl, Miss
Time: 5:00 p.m. (CT) DH
Game 1: LHP Roenis Elias (6-10, 3.19) vs. RHP Michael Lee (6-8, 4.27)
Game 2: RHP Forrest Snow (1-5, 3.34) vs. RHP Joe Bisenius (0-0, –)
Radio: Pregame Show (4:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their 10-game road trip (3-4) with game #5 and #6 of a 7-game series in 5 days at the Mississippi Braves (2-2)…the Generals have won 5 of their last 7 series’ and are 11-9 since the All-Star break…Jackson is 5-7 against Mississippi this season and are 3-6 at Trustmark Park this season…The Generals are 24-24 against the South Division this season as opposed to 26-36 vs. the North Division.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals couldn’t overcome a 7-run 7th inning by the Braves as Jackson lost to Mississippi 2-11 on Friday night. SS Chris Taylor (2×5, R, 3B, RBI) led the team with 2 hits, while DH Julio Morban (1×3, RBI, BB), LF Daniel Paolini (1×4, R), RF Jabari Blash (1×4), C Michael Dowd (1×4) and 2B Jack Marder (1×4) each recorded 1 of the Generals 7 hits. Starter Anthony Fernandez (6.0,6,4,2,2,1) recorded his 6th loss of the season, allowing 4 runs (2 ER) on 6 hits in 6.0 innings. RH Tyler Burgoon (0.2,3,6,6,3,1) allowed a season-high 6 runs in the 7th innings, while RH Stephen Shackleford (1.1,2,1,1,0,1) also allowed a run in the 7th.
• The Mariners Class A+ High Desert Mavericks recorded 30 hits and scored 30 runs en route to a 30-8 win over Lancaster last night. They recorded 10 runs in the first and 2nd innings, while recording at least 2 runs in 4 additional innings. Since 2005, the Mavericks are the 6th minor league team to score at least 25 runs and record at least 30 hits in a game.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 9 straight and 10 of his last 12 games, batting .395 (17×43) with 12 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 8 RBI, 6 walks and 2 stolen bases. In August Morban is batting .407.
• INF Chris Taylor has hit in 4 straight and is batting .400 (12×30) with 6 runs scored, 1 double, 2 walks and 2 stolen bases in 7 games in August.
• OF Jabari Blash has hit safeiy in all 5 games since being promoted from High Desert, batting .300 (6×20) with 1 run scored, 1 double, 1 home run and 2 RBI.
• LH Kyle Hunter has held oppoents scoreless in 24 of 29 appearances this season, including 3 starts. Overall he is 2-0 with 1 save and a 1.13 ERA (6 ER, 46.2 IP). He has limited opponents to a .216 (38×176), while walking 11 and striking out 33.
• After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 32
relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 8 saves and a 1.24 ERA (5 ER, 36.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.14. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 33 of 38 games. Smith has gone more than 1.0 IP for 6 of 13 saves including the last 3.
NEWS & NOTES: 38 of first 110 games have been 1-run games (15-23) which is the 8th in all of minors…56 of 110 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (20-35) and 13 have been extra-inning games (4-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 30-23.
• 29 GAMES IN 27 DAYS: The Generals close out the 2013 regular season by playing 29 games in 27 days, which began Wednesday in Mississippi. The final stretch of games include 19 games against South division opponents and 10 against North division opponents.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals play 6 games in 4 days this weekend in Mississippi, then play 7 games in 5 days August 18-22 when the Generals return to Mobile Jackson leads the league by playing 16 doubleheader games so far this season and has a 9-9 record in those games. The Generals have been rained out 16 times this season and had 3 games suspended.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-ManChoi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash belted a solo home run in the 2nd inning Saturday in his first AA at-bat. He joins Tennessee’s Javier Baez as the only Southern League player this year to homer in their AA debut. Blash has a hit in each of his first 4 Double-A games.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.2% of base stealers (60 CS, 115 Att). The next closest is Birmingham which is throwing out 33.1% of base stealers.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (8) players on the Seattle Mariners roster that were a member of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Carter Capps, RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) RHP Yoervis Medina and RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).