Game Central (Sunday, August 11) at M-Braves
Game #113: Jackson Generals (22-24, 51-61) at Mississippi Braves (26-23, 64-55)
Streak: Won 1
Site: Trustmark Park – Pearl, Miss
Time: 5:00 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Vasquez (1-1, 3.38) vs. LHP Ian Thomas (6-6, 2.81)
Radio: Pregame Show (4:45) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals wrap up their 10-game road trip (4-5) with the rubber match of the 7-game series at the Mississippi Braves (3-3)…the Generals have won 5 of their last 7 series’ and are 12-10 since the All-Star break…Jackson is 6-8 against Mississippi this season and are 4-7 at Trustmark Park this season…The Generals are 25-25 against the South Division this season as opposed to 26-36 vs. the North Division.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals and Braves split a doubleheader on Saturday night as Jackson finished the long night of baseball on a high note with a 7-2 win. In game 1, LF Leon Landry (2×3) and 1B Daniel Paolini (2×3) each recorded 2 hits in Jackson’s 1-3 loss. Starter Roenis Elias (4.1,7,3,3,1,4) recorded his 11th loss, after allowing 3 runs in the bottom of the 4th inning. LH Nick Hill (1.2,1,0,0,0,2) struck out 2 in 1.2 scoreless innings in relief. CF Denny Almonte hit a 2-run home run in the top of the 2nd inning to lead the Generals to a 7-2 win over Mississippi in game 2. 1B Ji-Man Choi (3×4, R, 2 RBI) led the team with 3 hits, while 3B Ramon Morla 92×4, R, RBI) recorde the team’s only other multi-hit game. Almonte hit his 5th home run with Jackson, while driving in a team-high 3 runs on the night. Starter Forrest Snow (4.0,5,1,1,0,1) allowed 1 run on 5 hits in 4.0 innings, but didn’t figure into the decision. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (2.0,2,0,0,0,2) recorded his 5th win after tossing 2.0 scoreless innings in relief. RH Dominic Leone (1.0,1,1,1,1,0) allowed a run in the bottom of the 7th inning.
•. INF Chris Taylor is batting .375 (15×40) with 10 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 3 walks and 4 stolen bases in 10 games in August.
• OF Jabari Blash has hit safeiy in all 6 games since being promoted from High Desert to Jackson, batting .304 (7×23) with 1 run scored, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBI and 1 walk.
OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 11 of his last 14 games, batting .340 (17×50) with 12 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 8 RBI, 6 walks and 2 stolen bases.
• LH Kyle Hunter has held oppoents scoreless in 24 of 29 appearances this season, including 3 starts. Overall he is 2-0 with 1 save and a 1.13 ERA (6 ER, 46.2 IP). He has limited opponents to a .216 (38×176), while walking 11 and striking out 33.
• After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 32 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 8 saves and a 1.24 ERA (5 ER, 36.2 IP).
NEWS & NOTES: 38 of first 112 games have been 1-run games (15-23) which is the 8th in all of minors…57 of 112 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (20-36) and 13 have been extra-inning games (4-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 31-23.
• 29 GAMES IN 27 DAYS: The Generals close out the 2013 regular season by playing 29 games in 27 days, which began Wednesday in Mississippi. The final stretch of games include 19 games against South division opponents and 10 against North division opponents.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals play 6 games in 4 days this weekend in Mississippi, then play 7 games in 5 days August 18-22 when the Generals return to Mobile Jackson leads the league by playing 16 doubleheader games so far this season and has a 9-9 record in those games. The Generals have been rained out 16 times this season and had 3 games suspended.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-ManChoi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash belted a solo home run in the 2nd inning Saturday in his first AA at-bat. He joins Tennessee’s Javier Baez as the only Southern League player this year to homer in their AA debut. Blash has a hit in each of his first 6 Double-A games.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.6% of base stealers (61 CS, 116 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 32.9% of base stealers.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (8) players on the Seattle Mariners roster that were a member of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Carter Capps, RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) RHP Yoervis Medina and RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).