Game Central (Tuesday, August 13) vs. Montgomery
Game #114: Jackson Generals (22-25, 51-62) vs. Montgomery Biscuits (23-27, 60-60)
Streak: Lost 1
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP James Gillheeney (5-6, 4.07) vs. RHP Victor Mateo (5-9, 4.73)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals begin their second to last homestand of the season tonight with game #1 of a 5-game series with the Montgomery Biscuits. The Generals are 6-4 against the Rays’ AA affiliate this season and 3-2 at The Ballpark in Jackson…the Generals are coming off a 4-6 road trip and are currently 6.0 games back, in 3rd place in the Southern League North Division standings.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals were limited to only 2 hits as Jackson was shutout by Mississippi 4-0 on Sunday in the series finale. The Generals dropped 4 of 7 during the 7-game series at Mississippi. The Braves smacked 3 home runs including 2 from C Christian Bethencourt. 3B Gabriel Noriega (1×4) and CF Julio Morban (1×4, SB) each recorded 1 of the Generals 2 hits. Starter Anthony Vasquez (8.0,6,4,3,1,5,3HR) recorded the loss in a complete game, allowing 4 runs (3 ER) on 6 hits in 8.0 innings.
NEWS & NOTES: 38 of first 113 games have been 1-run games (15-23) which is the 8th in all of minors…57 of 113 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (20-36) and 13 have been extra-inning games (4-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 31-24.
• MORE FROM MORBAN: OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 12 of his last 15 games, batting .333 (18×54) with 12 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 tripl es, 1 home run, 8 RBI, 6 walks and 3 stolen bases.
• TAYLOR SETTING THE TABLE: INF Chris Taylor is batting .341 (15×44) with 10 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 3 walks and 4 stolen bases in 11 games in August.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 32 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 8 saves and a 1.23 ERA (5 ER, 36.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.14. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 33 of 38 games (58 strikeouts).
• FLYING UNDER THE RADAR: LH Kyle Hunter has held opponents scoreless in 24 of 29 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 2-0 with 1 save and a 1.13 ERA (6 ER, 46.2 IP). He has limited opponents to a .216 (38×176), while walking 11 and striking out 33.
• 17 GAMES IN 15 DAYS: The Generals begin a stretch of 17 games in 15 days beginning tonight. Jackson will play 7 games in 5 days in Mobile starting on Sunday including the conclusion of a suspended game. The Generals close out the season playing 22 games in 22 days which includes 12 road games and 10 home games.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals play 6 games in 4 days this weekend in Mississippi, then play 7 games in 5 days August 18-22 when the Generals return to Mobile Jackson leads the league by playing 16 doubleheader games so far this season and has a 9-9 record in those games. The Generals have been rained out 16 times this season and had 3 games suspended.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-ManChoi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash belted a solo home run in the 2nd inning on August 3rd in his first AA at-bat. He joins Tennessee’s Javier Baez as the only Southern League player this year to homer in their AA debut this season. Blash had a hit in each of his first 6 Double-A games.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.6% of base stealers (61 CS, 116 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 32.9% of base stealers.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:...there are currently (8) players on the Seattle Mariners roster that were a member of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Carter Capps, RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) RHP Yoervis Medina and RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).
• BASEBALL AMERICA PROSPECTS: The Generals roster features 8 of the Mariners Top 30 prospects, according to Baseball America. Those include: RHP Carson Smith (16), OF Leon Landry (17), INF Jack Marder (20), C John Hicks (21), OF Julio Morban (23), INF Chris Taylor (28), INF Ramon Morla (29) and LHP Anthony Fernandez (30).