Game Central (Wednesday, August 14) vs. Montgomery
Game #115: Jackson Generals (23-25, 52-62) vs. Montgomery Biscuits (23-28, 60-61)
Streak: Won 1
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: LHP Anthony Fernandez (8-6, 3.95) vs. RHP Joe Van Meter (0-0, –)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their second-to-last homestand of the season tonight with game #2 of a 5-game series with the Montgomery Biscuits (1-0). The Generals are 7-4 against the Rays’ AA affiliate this season and 4-2 at The Ballpark in Jackson…the Generals are coming off a 4-6 road trip and are currently 6.0 games back, in 3rd place in the Southern League North Division standings.
GENERALS RECAP: It took extra innings and 4 hours and 5 minutes to settle the score in the series opener between Jackson and Montgomery, but the Generals walked off with a 2-1 win over the Biscuits. Both bullpens labored through what seemed to be countless innings until the bottom of the 14th rolled around. C John Hicks (2-5, R) singled and then went from first to third on a single from SS Gabriel Noriega (1-6). 2B Chris Taylor (1-7) was the next batter and chopped a ball to the third and an error from the third basemen allowed Hicks to score the game winner. After 6.0 shutout innings from James Gillheeney, Stephen Kohlscheen (2.48), Carson Smith (2.05) and Kyle Hunter (W, 3-0, 1.07) combined for 7.0 innings of 5-hit, shutout baseball. Kohlscheen struck out 3 to go along with Smith’s 4 and Hunter’s 3. As a whole, Jackson pitching fanned 16 Biscuits hitters.
NEWS & NOTES: 39 of first 114 games have been 1-run games (16-23) which is the 8th in all of minors…58 of 114 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (21-36) and 14 have been extra-inning games (5-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 31-24.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Brad Miller doesn’t always hit home runs, but when he does, apparently he hits two of them…playing in his first MLB game in his home state of Florida last night, Miller recorded his 3rd & 4th career home runs (including his first leadoff HR), and second multi-HR game (also: 7/19 at HOU)… Miller became the 3rd player during the divisional era (since 1969) to record his first four career home runs via a pair of multi-home run games…he joins the Blue Jays J.P. Arencibia (8/7/10 & 4/1/11) and the White Sox Carlos May (4/9/69 & 4/16/69).
• JUST HOW UGLY WAS IT? During last night’s 2-1 win in 14 innings over Montgomery the two teams combined to go 1-for-25 (.040 AVG) with runners in scoring position and stranded a combined 29 runners on base. Of those 29 LOB, 16 occurred during the extra innings.
• MORE FROM MORBAN: OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 12 of his last 15 games, batting .333 (18×54) with 12 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 8 RBI, 6 walks and 3 stolen bases.
• TAYLOR SETTING THE TABLE: INF Chris Taylor is batting .314 (16×51) with 10 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 RBI, 3 walks and 4 stolen bases in 12 games in August.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 33 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 8 saves and a 1.18 ERA (5 ER, 38.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.05. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 34 of 39 games (62 strikeouts).
• FLYING UNDER THE RADAR: LH Kyle Hunter has held opponents scoreless in 25 of 30 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 3-0 with 1 save and a 1.07 ERA (6 ER, 49.2 IP). He has limited opponents to a .219 (41×187), while walking 12 and striking out 36.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 14 doubleheaders this season and are 10-10 in 7-inning games. Jackson has 2 more scheduled doubleheaders set for August 19 and August 21 at Mobile.
• 17 GAMES IN 15 DAYS: The Generals began a stretch of 17 games in 15 days last night. Jackson will play 7 games in 5 days in Mobile starting on Sunday including the conclusion of a suspended game. The Generals close out the season playing 22 games in 22 days which includes 12 road games and 10 home games.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-ManChoi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash belted a solo home run in the 2nd inning on August 3rd in his first AA at-bat. He joins Tennessee’s Javier Baez as the only Southern League player this year to homer in their AA debut this season. Blash had a hit in each of his first 6 Double-A games and 7 of his firs 8. Blash also homered in his 2nd home at-bat on August 13 vs. Montgomery.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.6% of base stealers (61 CS, 116 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 33.8% of base stealers.