Game Central (Thursday, August 15)
Game #116: Jackson Generals (24-25, 53-62) vs. Montgomery Biscuits (23-29, 60-62)
Streak: Won 2
Site: The Ballpark in Jackson – Jackson, Tenn
Time: 7:05 p.m. (CT)
Pitching Match-up: RHP Trevor Miller (1-1, 6.26) vs. RHP Jake Thompson (11-9, 4.14)
Radio: Pregame Show (6:50) 96.5 ESPN, TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue their second-to-last homestand of the season tonight with game #3 of a 5-game series with the Montgomery Biscuits (2-0). The Generals are 8-4 against the Rays’ AA affiliate this season and 5-2 at The Ballpark in Jackson…the Generals are coming off a 4-6 road trip and are currently 6.0 games back, in 3rd place in the Southern League North Division standings.
GENERALS RECAP: 3B Ramon Morla hit a grand slam home run with 2 outs in the 7th inning to lead Jackson to a 9-5 win over Montgomery on Wednesday night. CF Denny Almonte (3×4, 2 R, 2B) led the team with 3 hits, while Morla (2×4, 2 R, 2B, HR, 4 RBI) and SS Gabriel Noriega (2×3, 2 R, 3B, RBI) each recorded 2 of the team’s 11 hits. Starter Anthony Fernandez (6.0,6,2,2,1,4) recorded his team-leading 9th win of the season, allowing 2 runs on 6 hits in 6.0 innings. RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,0,0,0,0,0) tossed a 1-2-3 7th inning, while RH Tyler Burgoon (1.0,1,2,2,1,0) and RH Dominic Leone (1.0,1,1,1,0,1,HR) combined to allow 2 runs over the final 2.0 innings in relief.
NEWS & NOTES: 39 of first 115 games have been 1-run games (16-23) which is the 8th in all of minors…58 of 115 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (21-36) and 14 have been extra-inning games (5-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 31-24.
• ALUMNI REPORT: Yes, more from Brad Miller… Miller hit his 5th triple of the season last night for Seattle, in just his 40th career game…Miller leads the American League rookie class in triples (8th with 17 extra base hits) and ranks T4th in the AL overall in triples…his 5 triples in first 40 career games tie the club record held by Ichiro (2001) and Dustin Ackley (2011).
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• TAYLOR SETTING THE TABLE: INF Chris Taylor is batting .309 (17×55) with 11 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 2 RBI, 3 walks and 4 stolen bases in 13 games in August.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 33 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 8 saves and a 1.18 ERA (5 ER, 38.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.05. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 34 of 39 games (62 strikeouts).
• FLYING UNDER THE RADAR: LH Kyle Hunter has held opponents scoreless in 25 of 30 relief appearances this season. Overall he is 3-0 with 1 save and a 1.07 ERA (6 ER, 49.2 IP). He has limited opponents to a .219 (41×187), while walking 12 and striking out 36.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 14 doubleheaders this season and are 10-10 in 7-inning games. Jackson has 2 more scheduled doubleheaders set for August 19 and August 21 at Mobile.
• 17 GAMES IN 15 DAYS: The Generals began a stretch of 17 games in 15 days last night. Jackson will play 7 games in 5 days in Mobile starting on Sunday including the conclusion of a suspended game. The Generals close out the season playing 22 games in 22 days which includes 12 road games and 10 home games.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-Man Choi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash belted a solo home run in the 2nd inning on August 3rd in his first AA at-bat. He joins Tennessee’s Javier Baez as the only Southern League player this year to homer in their AA debut this season. Blash had a hit in each of his first 6 Double-A games and 7 of his firs 8. Blash also homered in his 2nd home at-bat on August 13 vs. Montgomery.
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 34 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 52.6% of base stealers (61 CS, 116 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 33.8% of base stealers.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (8) players on the Seattle Mariners roster that were a member of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Carter Capps, RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) RHP Yoervis Medina and RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).