Game Central (Monday, August 19) at Mobile
Game #119/120: Jackson Generals (26-26, 55-63) at Mobile BayBears (28-25, 67-55)
Streak: Lost 1
Site: Hank Aaron Stadium – Mobile, Ala
Time: 5:05 p.m. (CT)
Suspended Game: RHP Stephen Kohlscheen vs. RHP Mark Serrano (4-1, 3.82)
Game 2: LHP James Gillheeney 8-6, 3.95) vs. RHP Bradin Hagens (10-7, 3.37)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio, Pregame Show (5:50) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals open a 7-game series in 4 days tonight at Mobile with the first of 3 doubleheaders…this season Jackson is 4-4 against the BayBears and 1-2 at Hank Aaron Stadium…the Generals went 4-1 during the last homestand…the Generals have won 6 of the last 9 series’ and are 16-12 since the All-Star break.
GENERALS RECAP: Yesterday’s game between the Jackson Generals and Mobile BayBears at Hank Aaron Stadium in Mobile, AL was postponed due to torrential rains and unplayable field conditions. The Generals and BayBears will make up Sunday’s game as part of a doubleheader on Tuesday. The 2 teams will play the conclusion of the August 5 suspended game at 5:05 p.m. on Monday then play a doubleheader on Tuesday and Wednesday starting at 5:05 p.m. each day, weather permitting. The Generals have had 18 games postponed this season, 3 games suspended and 5 games out-right cancelled. The Generals have played 14 doubleheaders.
NEWS & NOTES: 40 of 118 games have been 1-run games (17-23) which is the 8th in all of minors…59 of 118 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (22-36) and 14 have been extra-inning games (5-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-25.
• ALUMNI REPORT: 2009 and 2010 Jackson INF Carlos Triunfel has hit safely in 12 of his last 14 games, batting .357 (20×56) with 9 runs scored, 3 doubles, 3 RBI, 2 walks and 1 stolen base.
• ON THE ROAD AGAIN: The Generals are making their 2nd trip to Mobile in 2 weeks and playing 7 games in 4 days including the resuming of a suspended game and 3 doubleheaders in 3 days. Jackson lost 2 of 3 from Mobile August 2-4.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash has a hit in 8 of his first 12 Double-A games batting .262 (11×42) with 4 of his 11 hits being home runs. Blash belted a homer in his first Jackson at-bat on August 2 at Mobile…hit 2 home runs vs. Montgomery on August 15. He leads the Mariners farm system with 20 long balls this season.
• SOUTH DIVISION SUCCESS: The Generals are 29-27 this season against teams from the South Division as opposed to 26-36 when facing the North. Of the remaining 18 games, 8 are against South Division foes.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14 vs. Montgomery. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• TAYLOR SETTING THE TABLE: INF Chris Taylor is batting .323 (21×65) with 12 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 4 RBI, 6 walks and 4 stolen bases in 16 games in August.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 33 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 8 saves and a 1.18 ERA (5 ER, 38.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 2.05. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 34 of 39 games (62 strikeouts).
• FLYING UNDER THE RADAR: LH Kyle Hunter has held oppoents scoreless in 26 of 31 appearances this season. Overall he is 3-0 with 1 save and a 1.05 ERA (6 ER, 51.2 IP). He has limited opponents to a .220 (42×191), while walking 12 and striking out 37.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 14 doubleheaders this season and are 10-10 in 7-inning games. Jackson has 3 more scheduled doubleheaders this week in Mobile.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 6 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 1B Ji-Man Choi, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 39 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.7% of base stealers (62 CS, 120 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 34.7% of base stealers.
• SEATTLE GENERALS:…there are currently (8) players on the Seattle Mariners roster that were a member of the 2012 Jackson Generals (RHP Carter Capps, RHP Brandon Maurer, INF Nick Franklin, INF Brad Miller C Jesus Sucre (15-day DL), C Mike Zunino (15-day DL) RHP Yoervis Medina and RHP Stephen Pryor (60-day DL). In total, (9) 2012 Generals have made their MLB debuts and (4) 2013 Generals. (C Brandon Bantz, RHP Hector Noesi, INF Brad Miller, RHP Erasmo Ramirez).