Doubleheader Central (Tuesday, August 20) at Mobile
Game #121/122: Jackson Generals (28-26, 57-63) at Mobile BayBears (28-27, 67-57)
Streak: Won 2
Site: Hank Aaron Stadium – Mobile, Ala
Time: 5:05 p.m. (CT)
Game1: LHP Anthony Fernandez (9-6, 3.89) vs. RHP Archie Bradley (9-5, 2.00)
Game 2: LHP Kyle Hunter (3-0, 1.05) vs. LHP Andrew Chafin (10-6, 2.77)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio, Pregame Show (4:50) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 7-game series in 4 days tonight at Mobile with another doubleheader…this season Jackson is 6-4 against the BayBears and 3-2 at Hank Aaron Stadium…the Generals went 4-1 during the last homestand and have won 6 of 7…the Generals have won 6 of the last 9 series’ and are 18-12 since the All-Star break.
GENERALS RECAP: 3B Ramon Morla hit a solo home run to lead off the 6th inning to break a 2-2 tie as Jackson defeated Mobile 3-2 in game 1 on Monday night. Morla (2×4, R, HR, 2 RBI), LF Leon Landry (2×3) and SS Chris Taylor (2×3, BB, SB) each led the team with 2 hits. Starter Anthony Vasquez (3.0,2,0,0,0,0) allowed 2 hits over 3.0 scoreless innings, but didn’t figure into the decision. RH Stephen Kohlscheen (2.0,1,2,1,2,1) recorded his 5th win, while RH Carson Smith (2.0,1,0,0,0,2) earned his 13th save after tossing 2.0 scoreless innings. The Generals scored 4 runs combined from the 4th-6th innings to come-from-behind to defeat Mobile 6-3 in game 2. CF Denny Almonte (2×3, R, 2B, RBI), C John Hicks (2×3, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB), LF Daniel Paolini (2×4) and 2B Gabriel Noriega (2×2, R, 2B, RBI) each recorded 2 of the Generals 11 hits. Starter Jimmy Gillheeney (5.0,8,3,3,1,3) recorded his 6th win of the season, allowing 3 runs on 8 hits in 5.0 innings. RH Stephen Shackleford (1.0,0,0,0,0,0) and RH Dominic Leone (1.0,0,0,0,0,1) combined to hold the BayBears scoreless over the final 2.0 innings in relief.
NEWS & NOTES: 41 of 120 games have been 1-run games (18-23) which is the 8th in all of minors…60 of 120 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (23-36) and 14 have been extra-inning games (5-9)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-25.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 33 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 9 saves and a 1.12 ERA (5 ER, 40.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 1.96. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 35 of 40 games (64 strikeouts).
• THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN: RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 26.0 innings (1.04 ERA). During this 14-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 while lowering his season ERA from 3.60 to 2.78.
• ON THE ROAD AGAIN: The Generals are making their 2nd trip to Mobile in 2 weeks and playing 7 games in 4 days including the resuming of a suspended game and 3 doubleheaders in 3 days. 10 of Jackson’s final 15 games will come on the road.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash has a hit in 8 of his first 12 Double-A games batting .262 (11×42) with 4 of his 11 hits being home runs. Blash belted a homer in his first Jackson at-bat on August 2 at Mobile…hit 2 home runs vs. Montgomery on August 15. He leads the Mariners farm system with 20 long balls this season.
• SOUTH DIVISION SUCCESS: The Generals are 31-27 this season against teams from the South Division as opposed to 26-36 when facing the North. Of the remaining 15 games, 5 are against South Division foes.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14 vs. Montgomery. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• TAYLOR HAVING A GREAT AUGUST: INF Chris Taylor is batting .338 (24×71) with 13 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 5 RBI, 8 walks and 5 stolen bases in 18 games in August.
• FLYING UNDER THE RADAR: LH Kyle Hunter has held oppoents scoreless in 26 of 31 appearances this season. Overall he is 3-0 with 1 save and a 1.05 ERA (6 ER, 51.2 IP). He has limited opponents to a .220 (42×191), while walking 12 and striking out 37.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 14 doubleheaders this season and are 10-10 in 7-inning games. Jackson has 3 more scheduled doubleheaders this week in Mobile.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 5 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 39 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.2% of base stealers (62 CS, 121 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 34.7% of base stealers.