Doubleheader Central (Wednesday, August 21) at Mobile
Game #123/124: Jackson Generals (28-28, 57-65) at Mobile BayBears (30-27, 69-57)
Streak: Lost 2
Site: Hank Aaron Stadium – Mobile, Ala
Time: 5:05 p.m. (CT)
Game1: RHP Trevor Miller (2-1, 5.14) vs. LHP David Holmberg (5-7, 2.79)
Game 2: LHP Cam Hobson (0-0, –) vs. TBA
Radio: 96.5 ESPN Radio, Pregame Show (4:50) TuneIn Radio, GAMEDAY AUDIO
Online TV: MiLB.tv
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Archived Generals Interviews: Generals YouTube
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
TODAY’S GAME: the Generals continue a 7-game series in 4 days tonight at Mobile (2-2) with the 3rd doubleheader in 3 days…this season Jackson is 6-6 against the BayBears and 3-4 at Hank Aaron Stadium…the Generals went 4-1 during the last homestand and have won 6 of the last 9 series’ and are 18-14 since the All-Star break…Jackson begins the final homestand of the season starting Friday, a 5-game series vs. Chattanooga.
GENERALS RECAP: The Generals scored 1 run in the 1st inning and 1 run in the 5th inning, but it wasn’t enough as Jackson lost to Mobile 6-2 in game 1 on Tuesday night. LF Leon Landry (2×3, R, BB), SS Gabriel Noriega (2×4) and 2B Chris Taylor (2×4, RBI), the Generals 1-3 hitters, combined to go 6-for11 with 1 run scored and 2 RBI. Starter Anthony Fernandez (4.0,8,6,6,2,1,HR) recorded his 7th win of the season, allowoing 6 runs on 8 hits in 4.0 innings. RH Tyler Burgoon (2.0,2,0,0,0,1) allowed 2 hit over the final 2.0 scoreless innings in relief. RF Jabari Blash hit a 3-run home run in the top of the 6th to tie the game 4-4, but it wasn’t enough as Mobile defeated Jackson 5-4 in 10 innings. Blash (3×4, R, HR, 3 RBI, BB) led the team with 3 hits, while SS Gabriel Noriega (1×4, BB), 2B Chris Taylor (1×3, 2 R, 2B, 2 BB), 3B Ramon Morla (1×4, R, RBI, BB) and LF Jack Marder (1×4, 2B) each recorded 1 of the Generals 7 hits. Starter Kyle Hunter (3.0,4,4,3,3,5) allowed 4 runs (3 ER) on 4 hits in 3.0 innings, but didn’t figure into the decision. LH Nick Hill (2.0,0,0,0,1,3) and Moises Hernandez (2.0,1,0,0,1,0) combined to hold the BayBears scoreless over 4.0 innings, while RH Stephen Shackleford (2.1,3,1,0,1,1) recorded the loss after allowing an unearned run to score in the bottom of the 10th inning with 1 out.
NEWS & NOTES: 42 of 122 games have been 1-run games (18-24) which is the 8th in all of minors…61 of 122 games have been decided by 2-or-fewer runs (23-37) and 15 have been extra-inning games (5-10)…In games decided by 3+ runs the Generals are 32-26.
• CLOSING TIME: After allowing 5 runs over his first 6 appearances of the season, RH Carson Smith has allowed only 5 earned runs over his last 33 relief appearances. During this stretch he is 0-1 with 9 saves and a 1.12 ERA (5 ER, 40.2 IP). Since April 22, Smith has lowered his ERA from 8.44 to 1.96. Smith has struck out at least 1 batter in 35 of 40 games (64 strikeouts).
• THE RELIEVING MA-SCHEEN RH Stephen Kohlscheen has allowed only 3 earned runs over his last 26.0 innings (1.04 ERA). During this 14-game stretch (since June 26), he is 5-0 while lowering his season ERA from 3.60 to 2.78.
• ON THE ROAD AGAIN: The Generals are making their 2nd trip to Mobile in 2 weeks and playing 7 games in 4 days including the resuming of a suspended game and 3 doubleheaders in 3 days. 10 of Jackson’s final 15 games will come on the road.
• OFF WITH A BLASH: OF Jabari Blash has a hit in 10 of his first 16 Double-A games batting .276 (16×58) with 5 of his 16 hits being home runs. Blash belted a homer in his first Jackson at-bat on August 2 at Mobile…hit 2 home runs vs. Montgomery on August 15. He leads the Mariners farm system with 21 long balls this season.
• SOUTH DIVISION SUCCESS: The Generals are 31-29 this season against teams from the South Division as opposed to 26-36 when facing the North. Of the remaining 15 games, 5 are against South Division foes.
• GRAND SALAMI TIME: Ramon Morla blasted Jackson’s 5th grand slam of the season in the 7th inning on August 14 vs. Montgomery. The Generals lead the Southern League in grand slams with 2 coming from Morla, 2 from Ji-Man Choi and 1 from Brad Miller.
• TAYLOR HAVING A GREAT AUGUST: INF Chris Taylor is batting .346 (27×78) with 15 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 6 RBI, 10 walks and 5 stolen bases in 20 games in August.
• DOUBLEHEADER BLUES: The Generals lead the Southern League having played 16 doubleheaders this season and are 12-12 in 7-inning games. Jackson has 3 more scheduled doubleheaders this week in Mobile.
• HIGH DESERT REUNION: The current Generals roster features 5 starters from A+ High Desert’s opening day starting lineup (SS Chris Taylor, 3B Ramon Morla, DH Dan Paolini, LF Jabari Blash, P Trevor Miller)
• TRIPLES ADDING UP: OF James Jones recorded his league-leading 10th triple on July 24th in Chattanooga. He is 1 triple away from tying the franchise record. Jones is tied with Richard Lewis (10, ‘04) and Chris Walker (10, ‘06). Dwaine Bacon (11, ‘04) and Bo Porter (11. ‘98) are leaders. As a team the Generals have 39 triples which is 2nd-most in the Southern League.
• WE GOTCHA!! Jackson catchers lead the SL catching 51.2% of base stealers (62 CS, 121 Att). The next closest is Pensacola which is throwing out 34.7% of base stealers.