Game #62: Jackson Generals (27-34) at Birmingham Barons (26-36) | 6:30 pm CT | Regions Field
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Forrest Snow (0-0, 5.79) vs. RHP Brian Blough (1-2, 1.93)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals play game 3 of a 5-game road series at Birmingham (2-0)…coming off taking 3 of 5 from Huntsville at home and won first series since April 14-18 at Tennessee…overall have won 5 of last 6 games…after day off Tuesday, return home to face Jacksonville for 5 games to close out the first half.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals defeated the Barons 4-1 to win to take a 2-0 series lead…only the second time this season (4/3-5/1 vs PNS) winning first 2 games of a series.
• SS Ketel Marte (1×3) had a 2-run go-ahead double (17th) with the bases loaded in the 8th inning and extended his hitting streak to 12 games. It ties for thel longest by a General this season.
• 1B Dan Paolini (2×4) had an RBI double in the 4th to give Jackson a 1-0 lead…his 17th double of the season and now has an RBI in 5 straight games.
• CF Jamal Austin (2×4) and 3B Pat Kivlehan (2×4) added multi-hit games.
• Starter Matt Anderson (5.0,8,1,1,0,4) did not factor into the decision. Reliever Stephen Shackleford (2.0,1,0,0,1,3) earned his 5th victory with a scoreless 6th and 7th and is first JXN pitcher to 5 wins.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• On Top of the League in June – The Generals lead the league with a 5-1 record in June and are batting .333 as a team. This is after posting the first 20-loss month since June, 2007 by going 9-20 during the month of May.
• Loving the Road – 3B Patrick Kivlehan has an 11-game road hitting streak batting .375 (15×40) with a double, triple, 2 home runs and 9 RBI. 1B Mickey Wiswall has hit in 9 straight road games batting .278 (10×36) with 1 home run and 4 RBI.
• Also, 3B Patrick Kivlehan has reached base safely in 16 straight games, batting .357 (20×56) with 4 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 12 RBI 10 walks and a .448 OBP. (current long in SL).
• OF Dan Paolini currently has a 7-game hit streak, batting .385 (10×26) with 3 runs scored, 2 doubles, 7 RBI and 4 walks. He has also hit safely in 17 of his last 18 games, batting .347 (25×72) with 9 runs scored,
• C Manny Pina has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .400 (16×40) with 11 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 8 RBI and 6 walks.
7 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 15 RBI and 7 walks.
• C Mike Dowd has hit safely in 13 of his last 15 games with 3 multi-hit contests, batting .320 (16×40) with 7 runs scored,
1 double, 1 triple, 1 home run, 4 RBI, 4 walks and 1 stolen base.
• INF Jack Marder has recorded 6 multi-hit efforts in his last 12 games, batting .395 (17×43) with 10 runs scored, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI and 5 walks.
• OF Jamal Austin currently has a 7-game hit steak, batting .406 (13×32) with 8 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 2 RBI and 2 stolen bases
.• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed an earned run in 17
of his 21 relief appearances this season, going 1-1 with 5 saves and a 1.27 ERA (4 ER, 28.1 IP). He has limited opponents to a .224 (24×107) average, while walking 4 and striking out 29.
MARTE CONTINUES SEASON-LONG HIT STREAK
• SS Ketel Marte currently has a 12-game hit streak, batting .340 (18×53) with 9 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 7 RBI, 1 walk
and 2 stolen bases. He also has recorded 18 multi-hit games this season. Marte is one game away from matching Mike Freeman (MOB) and Darnell Sweeney (CHA) at 13 for the longest this season in Southern League. This is also Marte’s 4th hitting streak of 7 or more in 2014.
**Longest 2014 Generals Hitting Streaks**
Ketel Marte 12 5/25-present
Mickey Wiswall 12 5/11-5/30
John Hicks 11 5/6-5/23
Patrick Kivlehan 9 5/22-5/30
Dan Paolini 9 5/16-5/27
BRUTAL STRETCH OF GAMES:
• The Generals are in a current stretch of playing 25 games in 25 days to close out the first half…also have played 44 games in 46 days with 1 travel day and 1 game cancelled due to rain.
THREE GENERALS HEADED TO SL ALL-STAR GAME:
• Jackson SS Ketel Marte and right-handed relievers Stephen Kohlscheen and Mayckol Guaipe has been named to the SL North All-Star squad. The game will be played on June 17 at AT&T Field in Chattanooga. Marte, 20 is the youngest member of the All-Star team.