Game Central (Friday, June 6) at Birmingham
Game #61: Jackson Generals (26-34) at Birmingham Barons (26-35) | 7:05 pm CT | Regions Field
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Matt Anderson (1-2, 6.66 vs. RHP Chris Beck (3-6, 3.72)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue a 5-game road series at Birmingham (1-0) tonight with game 2 of the set…took 3 of 5 from Huntsville at home and won first series since April 14-18 at Tennessee…overall have won 4 of last 5 games…after day off Tuesday, return home to face Jacksonville for 5 games to close out the first half.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• LF Leon Landry and CF Jamal Austin combined to drive in 3 runs in the top of the 9th inning to give the team a 4-1 lead as Jackson held on for a 4-3 win over Birmingham on Thursday night.
• RF Kevin Rivers (3×4, R, 2 2B) and SS Ketel Marte (2×5, R, 2B) each recorded multi-hit games, while Austin (1×5, 2 RBI), Landry (1×4, R, 2B, RBI), 3B Patrick Kivlehan (1×3), 1B Mickey Wiswall (1×4, RBI), 3B Jack Marder (1×4) and C Mike Dowd (1×4) each had 1 of the Generals 11 hits.
• Starter Tyler Olson (8.0,5,3,3,1,4) recorded his 2nd win of the season, allowing 3 runs on 5 hits in a season-high 8.0 innings. It was the longest out of his career since tossing a 9.0 innings complete game shutout on July 10, 2013 at Eugene (w/Everett). RH Mayckol Guaipe (1.0,1,0,0,0,1) picked up his 3rd save of the season, despite allowing an inherited runner to scored in the bottom of the 9th inning.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• On Top of the League in June – The Generals lead the league with a 4-1 record in June and also lead the league with a .335 team batting average. This is after posting the worst month since 2007 by going 9-20 during the month of May.
• SS Ketel Marte currently has an 11-game hit streak, batting .340 (17×50) with 8 runs scored, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 5 RBI and 2 stolen base. He also has recorded 18 multi-hit games this season.
• OF Dan Paolini has hit safely in 16 of his last 17 games, batting .338 (23×68) with 9 runs scored, 6 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 14 RBI and 6 walks.
• INF Jack Marder has recorded 6 multi-hit efforts in his last 10 games, batting .417 (15×36) with 8 runs scored, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI and 5 walks.
• C Manny Pina has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .400 (16×40) with 11 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 8 RBI and 5 walks.
• OF Jamal Austin currently has a 6-game hit steak, batting .379 (11×29) with 7 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 2 RBI and 2 stolen bases.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed an earned run in 17
of his 21 relief appearances this season, going 1-1 with 5 saves and a 1.27 ERA (4 ER, 28.1 IP). He has limited opponents to a .224 (24×107) average, while walking 4 and striking out 29.
• After scoring a run in the first inning last night, Jackson has plated 9 runs in the first inning over the course of the last 4 games.
A RARE ONE-RUN VICTORY:
• The Generals held on to defeat the Birmingham Barons 4-3 on Thursday giving Jackson just their 3rd win in a one-run game (3-7).
BRUTAL STRETCH OF GAMES:
• The Generals are in a current stretch of playing 25 games in 25 days to close out the first half…also have played 44 games in 46 days with 1 travel day and 1 game cancelled due to rain.
THREE GENERALS HEADED TO SL ALL-STAR GAME:
• Jackson SS Ketel Marte and right-handed relievers Stephen Kohlscheen and Mayckol Guaipe has been named to the SL North All-Star squad. The game will be played on June 17 at AT&T Field in Chattanooga. Marte, 20 is the youngest member of the All-Star team.
GENERALS MAKE VISIT TO BIRMINGHAM:
• The Generals make their only visit to Regions Field this weekend and will play 15 games in total against the White Sox Double-A affiliate.
• Last season the Generals were 8-7 against the Barons and 2-3 in games played at Regions Field in Birmingham.