Game Central (Thursday, June 5th) at Birmingham
Game #60: Jackson Generals (25-34) at Birmingham Barons (26-34) | 7:05 pm CT | Regions Field
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Tyler Olson (1-2, 4.73) vs. RHP Nick McCully (2-5, 6.18)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals open a 5-game road series at Birmingham tonight with game one of the set…just took 3 of 5 from Huntsville at home and won first series since April 14-18 at Tennessee…after day off Tuesday, return home to face Jacksonville for 5 games to close out first half.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals scored in 5 runs in the 3rd innings to take a 5-4, including a 2-run home run by DH Dario Pizzano, but allowed 3 runs in the top of the 5th inning as Jackson snapped their 3-game win streak with a 7-5 to Huntsville on Wednesday.
• Pizzano (2×5, R, HR, 2 RBI), 2B Jack Marder (2×4, R, 2B, 2 RBI, BB), 3B Patrick Kivlehan (2×4, BB) and RF Kevin Rivers (2×5) each recorded 2 hits as the Generals out-hit the Stars 12-10.
• Starter Trevor Miller (4.2,6,6,5,2,5,HR) recored his 6th loss of the season, allowing 6 runs (5 ER) on 6 hits in 4.2 innings. LH Cam Hobson (4.1,4,1,1,0,4,HR) allowed 1 run on 4 hits and struck out 4 in 4.1 innings in relief.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Hot Start in June – The Generals lead the league with a 3-1 record in June and also lead the league with a .342 team batting average.
• SS Ketel Marte currently has a 10-game hit streak, batting .333 (15×45) with 7 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 5 RBI and 3 stolen bases.
• OF Dario Pizzano has hit safely in 5 straight games, batting .375 (6×16) with 3 runs scored, 1 double, 2 home runs, 9 RBI and 5 walks.
• OF Dan Paolini has hit safely in 16 of his last 17 games, batting .338 (23×68) with 9 runs scored, 6 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 14 RBI and 6 walks.
• INF Jack Marder has recorded 6 multi-hit efforts in his last 10 games, batting .417 (15×36) with 8 runs scored, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI and 5 walks.
• C Manny Pina has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .400 (16×40) with 11 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 8 RBI and 5 walks.
OF Jamal Austin currently has a 6-game hit steak, batting .417 (10×24) with 7 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple and 1 stolen base.
• RH Stephen Kohlscheen has not allowed an earned run in 17
of his 21 relief appearances this season, going 1-1 with 5 saves and a 1.27 ERA (4 ER, 28.1 IP). He has limited opponents to a .224 (24×107) average, while walking 4 and striking out 29.
• OF Dario Pizzano is batting .364 (4×11) over his last 3 games with a double, 2 home runs and 8 RBI. His 8 RBI in that span is the most in MiLB.
MINOR LEAGUE RBI LEADERS SINCE JUNE 2ND:
Dario Pizzano Jackson (SEA) 8
Jabari Blash Tacoma (SEA) 7
Joe Jackson Hickory (TEX) 7
D.J. Peterson High Desert (SEA) 7
BRUTAL STRETCH OF GAMES:
• The Generals are in a current stretch of playing 25 games in 25 days to close out the first half…also have played 44 games in 46 days with 1 travel day and 1 game cancelled due to rain.
TWO GENERALS HEADED TO SL ALL-STAR GAME:
• The Southern League announced on Tuesday that Jackson SS Ketel Marte and right-handed reliever Stephen Kohlscheen had been named to the SL North All-Star squad. The game will be played on June 17 at AT&T Field in Chattanooga. Marte, 20 is the youngest member of the All-Star team.
GENERALS MAKE VISIT TO BIRMINGHAM:
• The Generals make their only visit to Regions Field this weekend and will play 15 games in total against the White Sox Double-A affiliate.
• Last season the Generals were 8-7 against the Barons and 2-3 in games played at Regions Field in Birmingham.