Game Central (Monday, June 9) at Birmingham
Game #64: Jackson Generals (28-35) at Birmingham Barons (27-37) | 11:30 am CT | Regions Field
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Trevor Miller (4-6, 4.50) vs. RHP Mike Recchia (2-1, 1.96)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals conclude their series this morning with game 4 of a 5-game road series at Birmingham (3-1)…coming off taking 3 of 5 from Huntsville and have now won 2 straight series…overall have won 6 of last 8 games…after day off Tuesday, will return home to face Jacksonville for 5 games to close out the first half.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals tallied a season-high 17 hits, including 5 doubles and scored 5 runs in the 6th inning, but held off the Barons 8-6 on Sunday afternoon.
• Starter Victor Sanchez (W, 6.2,5,2,2,1,5) tossed a season-long 6.2 innings picking up his second Double-A victory.
• CF Jamal Austin (3×5, 2B, 2 R, RBI, 3 SB) and DH John Hicks (3×5, 2B, RBI, R) led the offense as SS Nate Melendres (3×5), RF Leon Landry (2×5, 2B, R) and C Mike Dowd (2×5) added multi-hit efforts.
• LF Dario Pizzano (1×3, HR, 3 RBI) hit his third Double-A HR in the 2nd inning and first of the series for Jackson.
• Reliever Stephen Kohlscheen (2.0,6,4,4,0,1) surrendered runs for only the 5th time in his 22 outings this season. RH Mayckol Guaipe (0.1,0,0,0,0,0) retired the final batter to earn his 4th save.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• On Top of the League in June – The Generals lead the league with a 6-2 record in June and are batting a league best .342 as a team. This is after posting the first 20-loss month since June, 2007 by going 9-20 during the month of May.
• Need For Speed – After 4 stolen bases on Sunday afternoon and 3 from Jamal Austin, the Generals now lead the league with 64 steals as a team this season. Austin ranks 4th in SL with 19.
• Loving the Road – 3B Patrick Kivlehan has a 13-game road hitting streak batting .383 (18×47) with 2 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs and 13 RBI. 1B Mickey Wiswall has hit in 10 straight road games batting .275 (11×40) with 1 home run and 4 RBI.
• Also, 3B Patrick Kivlehan has reached base safely in 18 straight games, batting .365 (23×63) with 5 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 16 RBI 10 walks and a .447 OBP. (current long in SL, 7th in 2014).
• Hicks red-hot in May/June – After batting just .232 in April, C John Hicks is batting .333 (29×87) with 6 doubles, 2 home runs, 12 RBI and 5 stolen bases in May and June. His average has risen from .232 to .294. Currently 6×9 over his last 2 games with 2 doubles, 2 runs, 2 stolen bases and 1 RBI.
• OF Dan Paolini currently has an 8-game hit streak, batting .400 (12×30) with 3 runs scored, 3 doubles, 7 RBI and 4 walks. He has also hit safely in 18 of his last 19 games, batting .355 (27×76) with 9 runs scored, 8 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 15 RBI and 7 walks.
• C Manny Pina has hit safely in 10 of his last 11 games, batting .400 (16×40) with 11 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 8 RBI and 6 walks.
7 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 15 RBI and 7 walks.
• C Mike Dowd has hit safely in 14 of his last 16 games with 4 multi-hit contests, batting .400 (18×45) with 7 runs scored,
1 double, 1 triple, 1 home run, 4 RBI, 4 walks and 1 stolen base.
• OF Jamal Austin currently has a 9-game hit steak, batting .432 (16×37) with 10 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, e RBI and 5 stolen bases
GENERALS MAKING LONE VISIT TO BIRMINGHAM:
• The Generals make their only visit to Regions Field this weekend and will play 15 games in total against the White Sox Double-A affiliate.
• Last season the Generals were 8-7 against the Barons and 2-3 in games played at Regions Field in Birmingham.
MARTE HAS SEASON-LONG HIT STREAK:
• SS Ketel Marte currently has a 13-game hit streak, batting .333 (19×57) with 9 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 8 RBI, 1 walk and 2 stolen base. He also has recorded 18 multi-hit games this season. Marte is tied with Mike Freeman (MOB) and Darnell Sweeney (CHA) at 13 for the longest this season in Southern League. This is also Marte’s 4th hitting streak of 7 or more in 2014.
**Longest 2014 Generals Hitting Streaks**
Ketel Marte 13 5/25-present
Mickey Wiswall 12 5/11-5/30
John Hicks 11 5/6-5/23
Patrick Kivlehan 9 5/22-5/30
Dan Paolini 9 5/16-5/27
BRUTAL STRETCH OF GAMES:
• The Generals are in a current stretch of playing 25 games in 25 days to close out the first half…also have played 44 games in 46 days with 1 travel day and 1 game cancelled due to rain.
THREE GENERALS HEADED TO SL ALL-STAR GAME:
• Jackson SS Ketel Marte and right-handed relievers Stephen Kohlscheen and Mayckol Guaipe has been named to the SL North All-Star squad. The game will be played on June 17 at AT&T Field in
Chattanooga. Marte, 20 is the youngest member of the All-Star team.