Game Central (Wednesday, June 11) vs. Jacksonville
Game #65: Jackson Generals (28-36) vs. Jacksonville Suns (34-31) | 7:05 pm CT | The Ballpark at Jackson
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Tyler Olson (2-2, 4.46) vs. RHP Jose Urena (6-3, 4.22)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals begin their final series of the first half with a 5-game home series with the Jacksonville Suns (MIA)…lost 3 of 5 June 21-25 at Jacksonville…have won 2 straight series over Huntsville (3-2) and at Birmingham (3-2).
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Barons scored an unearned run on 2 Generals errors in the 9th as Birmingham walked-off with a 6-5 win over Jackson on Monday afternoon.
• 1B Ji-Man Choi (2×4, R, 2 RBI, BB), 3B Patrick Kivlehan (2×4, 2B, RBI, BB), 2B Nate Melendres (2×4, R, 2B) and RF Leon Landry (2×4, R, 3B, SB) each recorded 2 of the Generals 11 hits. • Starter Trevor Miller (4.0,6,5,5,1,3) allowed 5 runs on 6 hits in 4.0 innings, but did not factor into the decision. LH Cam Hobson (4.2,3,1,0,2,1) recorded the loss, despite not allowing an earned run in 4.2 innings in relief.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• On Top of the League in June – The Generals are tied with Mobile and Pensacola for the league with a 6-3 record in June and are batting a league best .336 as a team. This is after posting the first 20-loss month since June, 2007 by going 9-20 during the month of May.
• Need For Speed – After 8 stolen bases during the series at Birmingham, the Generals now lead the league with 65 steals as a team this season. OF Jamal Austin ranks 4th in SL with 19.
• C Mike Dowd has hit safely in 14 of his last 16 games with 4 multi-hit contests, batting .327 (18×55) with 7 runs scored, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 home run, 4 RBI, 4 walks and 1 stolen base.
• OF Dan Paolini hit safely in 18 of his last 20 games, batting .338 (27×80) with 10 runs scored, 8 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 15 RBI and 8 walks. Paolini has also hit safely in 8 straight home games batting .400 (12×30) with 3 doubles and 8 RBI.
• OF Jamal Austin currently has a 10-game hit steak, batting .405 (17×42) with 11 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 3 RBI and 5 stolen bases. Austin has also hit safely in 11 straight home games, batting .318 (14×44) with 12 runs scored and 1 triple.
• INF Jack Marder has recorded 6 multi-hit efforts in his last 13 games, batting .367 (18×49) with 11 runs scored, 3 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 7 RBI and 5 walks.
• C John Hicks is batting .341 (28×82) with 15 runs scored, 6 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 11 RBI, 5 walks and 4 stolen bases in 22 games. During this stretch, since May 6, he has raised his season average from .219 to .288. Hicks has also reached base in 13 straight home games and hit safely in 8 straight home games batting .414 (12×29) with 8 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple and 5 RBI.
• OF Kevin Rivers had hit safely in 12 straight home games batting .279 (12×43) with 7 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 RBI and 9 walks.
KIVLEHAN SETTLING RIGHT IN AT DOUBLE-A LEVEL:
• After going just 4-for-35 in his first 10 Jackson games from May 10-21, 3B Patrick Kivlehan has reached base safely in 19 straight games from May 22-June 9 going 25-for-67 with 8 runs, 6 doubles, 1 triple, 2 home runs, 17 RBI, 12 walks and a .457 OBP. His batting average has risen from .114 to .284.
MARTE HAS SEASON-LONG HIT STREAK COME TO END:
• SS Ketel Marte went 0-for-4 on Monday, snapping his hit streak at 13 games. During the streak he hit .333 (19×57) with 9 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 triple, 8 RBI, 1 walk and 2 stolen base.. Marte is tied with Mike Freeman (MOB) and Darnell Sweeney (CHA) at 13 for the longest this season in Southern League. This was also Marte’s 4th hitting streak of 7 or more in 2014.
THE MAYOR RETURNS TO JACKSON:
• Jacksonville 1B Rich Poythress returns to Jackson this week as now a member of the Miami Marlins organization.
• Poythress played in 238 games for the Jackson franchise from 2009-2013 giving him the nickname “The Mayor” ala his twitter handle @TheMayorRP. He batted .276 (236×854) with 52 doubles, 20 home runs and 122 RBI.
• Poythress was released by the Mariners at the end of spring training and was signed by the Marlins a week later on April 10th.
THREE GENERALS HEADED TO SL ALL-STAR GAME:
• Jackson SS Ketel Marte and right-handed relievers Stephen Kohlscheen and Mayckol Guaipe has been named to the SL North All-Star squad. The game will be played on June 17 at AT&T Field in
Chattanooga. Marte, 20 is the youngest member of the All-Star team.
I FEEL A DRAFT:
• The Mariners have signed OF Gareth Morgan from North York in Toronto (Ontario) Canada, the club’s 2nd selection (74th overall pick) in the 2014 Draft. Morgan, 18, is a 6-foot-4, 220-pound, right-handed hitting outfielder. He has played both RF and CF during his high school career. He is scheduled to report to the AZL Mariners in the AZ Rookie League. The Mariners have signed 14 of their 40 draft picks.
Today’s Roster Moves:
The Seattle Mariners have announced the following roster moves that affect the Generals roster. C Manny Piña has been outright traded to Detroit and will report to AAA Toledo. INF Mickey Wiswall has been activated from R Pulaski. Also, OF Julio Morban has been transferred to Jackson from extended spring training and placed on the disabled list. The moves are made prior to tonight’s series opener at 7:05 p.m. against the Jacksonville Suns at The Ballpark at Jackson.
Piña, 26, played in 17 games for the Generals and batted .279 (17×61) with 4 doubles, 2 home runs and 10 RBI. He began the season with AAA Tacoma and in 4 games batted .214 (3×14) with a double and 3 RBI. Piña made his MLB debut for the Kansas City Royals in 2011 and played in 5 big league games from 2011-2012. He was signed by the Mariners as a minor league free agent on January 17, 2014.
Wiswall, 25, was batting .223 (33×148) with 4 doubles, a team-leading 5 home runs and 16 RBIs. Wiswall missed all of last season due to a torn hamstring. Wiswall was drafted by the Mariners in the 7th round of the 2010 draft out of Boston College. Wiswall resides in Stoneham, MA
Morban, 22, began the 2014 season with AAA Tacoma and batted .250 (5×20) with a double and RBI for the Rainers from April 18-April 27. He was transferred to extended spring training on April 30.
In 2013, Morban batted .295 (87×295) with 20 doubles, 5 triples, 7 home runs and 44 RBI in 86 games with the Generals. He was named a Southern League midseason All-Star and also named Southern League Hitter of the Week (6/17-6/24).
Morban was placed on the DL Aug. 21 with a right tibula fracture. He ranked 3rd in the Southern League in batting at time of his injury and batted .354 (29×82) with runners in scoring position.