Game #84: Jackson Generals 4-10 (35-48) vs. Mobile BayBears 8-6 (50-33)
Time/Place: 7:05 pm CT | The Ballpark at Jackson
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Matt Anderson (3-3, 4.53) vs. RHP A.J. Schugel (4-1, 3.81)
Promotions: Post Game Fireworks, Post Game Concert, Fur Circus, Not a Dollar Night
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• Tonight the Generals wrap up their 10-game homestand (2-7) with game five of the series against Mobile (1-3). The Generals went 1-4 against Tennessee in the first leg of the homestand…are 4-10 against Mobile this season.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• In the suspended game LF Dario Pizzano drove in the Generals only run in the bottom of the 6th inning to tie the game at 1-1, but the pitching staff allowed 5 runs over the 8th and 9th innings as Jackson lost to Mobile 6-1 in game 1 on Tuesday night.
• CF Leon Landry (2×5) and DH Dan Paolini (2×3, R, BB) each recorded 2 of the team’s 8 hits, while Pizzano (1×3, 2B, RBI, BB) recorded the Generals only RBI.
• Starter Victor Sanchez (4.0,3,0,0,1,2) allowed 3 hits and struck out 2, but didn’t factor into the decision. RH Trevor Mller (1.0,1,1,0,2,1), LH Kyle Hunter (2.2,4,2,2,2,1), LH Nick Hill (0.2,2,3,3,1,0,HR) and RH Moises Hernandez (0.2,0,0,0,0,1) combined to allow 6 runs (5 ER) over the final 5.0 innings.
• In game 2, Starter Tyler Pike and reliever Richard Vargas combined on a 3-hit 7.0-inning shutout as Jackson defeated Mobile 3-0. Pike (5.1,3,0,0,3,4) earned his first AA win, allowing 3 hits and striking out 4 in 5.1 innings. Vargas (1.2,0,0,0,1,4) struck out 4 batters over the final 1.2 innings to pick up his 4th save of the season.
• CF Leon Landry (1×3, R, 2B), SS Ketel Marte (1×3, 2 RBI), 3B D.J. Peterson (1×3) and Dan Paolini (1×2, 2B, RBI) each recorded 1 of the Generals 4 hits.
TOP PROSPECT PETERSON WITH 7-GAME HIT STREAK:
• D.J. Peterson, the No. 2 prospect for the Mariners, according to Baseball America and was Seattle’s 12th overall selection in the 2013 draft out of New Mexico. He has hit safely in all 7 AA games he has appeared, batting .250 (7×28) with 1 run scored, 2 double, 1 RBI and 2 walks.
Mariners 1st round picks to play for Jackson:
Drafted Player Year(s) in JXN Games
2006 (5th) RHP Brandon Morrow 2008 6
2007 (11th) RHP Phillippe Aumont 2009 15
2008 (20th) RHP Josh Fields 2009-2011 72
2009 (2nd) INF Dustin Ackley 2010 82
2010 (43rd) RHP Taijuan Walker 2012-2014 40
2011 (2nd) LHP Danny Hultzen 2012 13
2012 (3rd) C Mike Zunino 2012 15
2013 (12th) INF D.J. Peterson 2014 5
• On Tuesday, Peterson was named to the U.S. Team for the upcoming 2014 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game. Peterson will be joined at the All-Star Futures Game by High Desert outfielder Gabby Guerrero, another one of the Mariners top young prospects. Guerrero will play on the World Team at the July 13 game at Target Field in Minneapolis as part of the All-Star Week festivities.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• LH Tyler Pike is 1-0 with a 1.46 ERA (2 ER, 12.1 IP) in 3 AA starts. He has limited opponents to a .184 (7×38) average, while walking 11 and striking out 7.
• OF Leon Landry currently has a 7 game hit streak, batting .335 (11×35) with 3 runs scored, 1 triple, 2 RBI and 4 stolen bases. He has also hit safely in 19 of his last 21 games with 11 multi-hit efforts, batting .383 (31×81) with 13 runs scored, 5 doubles, 3 triples, 5 RBI, 3 walks and 9 stolen bases.
• OF Julio Morban has hit safely in 7 of his last 9 games, batting .364 (12×33) with 4 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 1 RBI and 3 walks.
• RH Matt Anderson is 3-1 with a 2.01 ERA (9 ER, 40.1 IP) in his last 7 starts.
JUNE ENDS WITH GREAT OFFENSIVE NUMBERS:
• Jackson finished 12-14 in June, but posted a a .294 AVG which ranked 2nd in the league and 6 Generals batted over .300 in June.
Player G AVG/HR/RBI
Patrick Kivlehan 26 .385/2/24
Kevin Rivers 17 .375/1/5
Jack Marder 23 .329/2/10
Leon Landry 23 .352/0/7
John Hicks 16 .321/0/5
Julio Morban 12 .311/0/2
ROSTER FEATURES SEVEN TOP-30 PROSPECTS:
• The current Jackson roster features seven of Seattle’s Top-30 prospects, according to Baseball America.
Pos Player Rank
INF D.J. Peterson 2nd
RHP Victor Sanchez 7th
OF Julio Morban 11th
INF Patrick Kivlehan 12th
LHP Tyler Pike 16th
INF Ketel Marte 20th
C John Hicks 23rd
GENERALS IN SEATTLE:
• The current Mariners roster features 15 former Generals.
• Erasmo Ramirez, James Paxton (DL) and Roenis Elias are in the starting rotation. Elias was a 2013 Southern League All-Star.
• Dustin Ackley, Michael Saunders,, Kyle Seager, Brad Miller, James Jones, Stefen Romero and Mike Zunino are position players.
• Tom Wilhelmsen, Dominic Leone and Yoervis Medina are in the M’s bullpen.
GENERALS ON THE AIR:
• Fans can listen to all 140 games this season on the flagship home of the Generals, 96.5 ESPN. Each game will also be streamed on jacksongeneralsbaseball.com and the TuneIn Radio App.
Calling the games will be 2013 Southern League Broadcaster of the Year, Chris Harris.
• Each home game will be aired live on MiLB.TV