Game Central (Friday, July 11) vs. Birmingham
Game #91: Jackson Generals 7-14 (38-52) vs. Birmingham Barons 12-8 (41-49)
Time/Place: 7:05 pm CT | The Ballpark at Jackson | Jackson, Tennessee
Promotions: Flat Screen Friday
Pitching Match-Up: RHP Stephen Landazuri (3-4, 4.22) vs. RHP Nick McCully (4-7, 5.66)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue a 5-game homestand tonight against the Birmingham Barons in Jackson (0-1)…are coming off a series win at Huntsville (3-2) and have won 3 of 5…also are 3-3 against Birmingham this season and will play the Barons 9 more times in Jackson the final 49 games of the season.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals had 10 hits including multi-hit games from CF Leon Landry (2×5, RBI), SS Ketel Marte (2×5) , 1B Pat Kivlehan (2×4, R, RBI) and DH Dan Paolini (2×4, HR, 2 RBI), but Jackson fell in the opener against Birmingham 7-4 in Jackson.
• Starter Tyler Olson (0.2,3,3,3,1,2) suffered the loss and could not escape the first inning. RH Trevor Miller (4.0,4,1,1,2,5), LH Kyle Hunter (1.0,2,3,3,1,1), RH Moises Hernandez (2.1,4,0,0,1,2) and RH Richard Vargas (1.0,0,0,0,1,0) logged innings on Thursday night.
• Paolini hit his team-leading 6th home run in the bottom of the sixth inning to draw the Generals within 7-3, but that was close as it got.
• Birmingham used two 3-run innings in the first and the sixth to get the victory in game one of the series.
OFFENSE CONTINUES TO ROLL IN THE LAST 5 GAMES:
• The Generals have posted double-digit hit totals and batted .313 (55×176) over their last 5 games, winning 3 of those, scoring 28 runs on 55 hits with 7 doubles, 3 triples and 8 home runs.
• Jackson now ranks 5th in the league doubles (160), 2nd in triples (30), 4th in slugging (.384) and T-3rd in batting (.262) on the season.
• Patrick Kivlehan (.300), Leon Landry (.316), Ketel Marte (.318), Dan Paolini (.450), D.J. Peterson (.318) and Dario Pizzano (.313) are batting over .300 in the last 5 games.
PETERSON CONTINUES TO HIT FOR THE GENERALS:
• 3B D.J. Peterson homered on Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday in Huntsville and has now hit safely in 13 of 14 games with Jackson, batting .276 (16×58) with 6 runs scored, 3 doubles, 3 home runs, 7 RBI and 3 walks.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Hot Hitting July – After batting .294 as a team in June, the Generals are currently batting .271, which ranks 3rd in the league. The 9 home runs also ranks 3rd in the league.
• INF Dan Paolini has hit safely in all 8 games he has appeared in July, batting .464 (13×28) with 6 runs scored, 4 doubles, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and 2 walks. Paolini currently leads the team in homers (6), doubles (25) and RBIs (46).
• OF Leon Landry has hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games, batting .328 (19×58) with 8 runs scored, 3 doubles, 1 triple, 3 RBI and 5 stolen bases. Since June 7, Landry has hit safely in 24 of his last 27 games with 14 multi-hit efforts, batting .361 (39×108) with 18 runs scored, 6 doubles, 3 triples, 6 RBI, 3 walks and 10 stolen bases. During this 27 game stretch he has raised his season average from .236 to .286.
• Not such a home sweet home – Jackson has dropped 9 of 11 home games since June 24th and are 18-27 at home this season.
• Success though against Birmingham at home – Since 2008, the Generals are 32-17 at home against the Barons.
VIVA LA VARGAS AT THE END OF GAMES IN 2ND HALF:
• RH Richard Vargas has appeared in 7 games since the All-Star break going 1-0, and is 3-for-3 in save opperunities, not allowing a run in 8 IP. Vargas has walked 4 and struck out 10, while giving up just 2 hits holding opponents to a .069 AVG (2×29). This is after going 0-1, with a 6.12 ERA in the first half going 2-for-4 in save oppertunites walking 24 and striking out 30 in 32.1 IP.
PETERSON TO THE FUTURES GAME:
• D.J. Peterson was named to the U.S. Team for the upcoming 2014 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game. Peterson will be joined at the All-Star Futures Game by High Desert outfielder Gabby Guerrero, who will play on the World Team at the July 13 game at Target Field in Minneapolis as part of the All-Star Week festivities.