Game Central (Sunday, August 10) at Pensacola
Game #118: Jackson Generals 22-26 (53-64) at Pensacola Blue Wahoos 19-30 (50-69)
Time/Place: 4:00 pm CT | Pensacola Bayfront Stadium | Pensacola, Florida
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Tyler Pike (3-2, 6.29) vs. RHP Michael Lorenzen (4-5, 2.56)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• With the series tied at 2-2, the Generals play the rubber match of the 5-game road series at Pensacola…are 5-5 rubber games this season…the Generals have won 4 of last 6 series’ and won 3 of 5 from Montgomery in last homestand…Jackson is 23-34 away from home this season.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• DH Dan Paolini hit 2 home runs and drove in 3 runs to lead Jackson to a 7-5 win over Pensacola on Saturday night.
• Paolini (4×5, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI) led the team in hits and RBI, while recording his 3rd career 2-home run game (last: 8/29/12 vs. Burlington; 3×4, 3 R, 2 HRn, RBI. RF Patrick Kivlehan (3×5, R, 2B), 1B Jordy Lara (2×6, 2B, RBI) each recorded at least 2 of the team’s 15 hits.
• Starter Victor Sanchez (3.2,6,5,5,2,2,RH) allowed 5 runs on 6 hits over 3.2 innings, but did not factor into the decision. LH Kyle Hunter (2.1,1,0,0,0,0,1) earned his 3rd win, allowing only 1 hit and striking out 1 over 2.1 scoreless innings. RH Trevor Miller (2.0,2,0,0,0,0) held the Blue Wahoos scoreless over 2.0 innings in relief, while RH Mayckol Guaipe eared a 1-2-3) 10th save of the season w/ a 1-2-3 scoreless innings.
MARTE PROMOTED TO AAA TACOMA:
• After Saturday nights 7-5 win over Pensacla, SS Ketel Marte was promoted to AAA Tacoma. The 20-year-old was a 2014 Southern League All-Star.
KIVLEHAN & MARTE ARE AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE:
• INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan currently ranks T-3rd in the Southern League in batting (.316) and 3rd in slugging percentage (.512). Kivlehan also ranks 5th in the M’s organization in average (.304), 4th in HR (18) and 2nd in RBI (90).
• Kivlehan has hit safely in 19 of his last 23 games, batting .338 (30×85) with 15 runs scored, 7 doubles, 3 triples, 3 home runs, 15 RBI, 13 walks and 3 stolen bases. He also has hit safely in 24 of his last 29 games (since 7/8), batting .350 (38×105) with 21 runs scored, 8 doubles, 4 triples, 4 home runs, 20 RBI, 15 walks and 3 stolen bases.
• SS Ketel Marte currently ranks 6th in the league batting (.302), 1st in hits (134), 1st in at-bats (443) and T-5th in doubles (27).
Southern League Leaders in Batting Average:
Rank Player Team AVG
1st Tom Belza MOB .321
2nd Jake Lamb MOB .318
T-3rd Patrick Kivlehan JXN .316
T-3rd Rangel Ravelo BIR .316
5th Ryan Brett MTG .306
6th Ketel Marte JXN .302
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Hello Again Blue Wahoos – The Generals are taking on Pensacola for the first time since a home series, April 30-May 4 in Jackson where the Wahoos took 3 of 5.
• Jackson leads the overall series against Pensacola, 16-13 and are 10-9 in games played at Bayfront Stadium, including winning 4 of 5 during last series in Pensacola July 4-8, 2013.
• Home Sweet Sunshine State – Jackson has 3 players on its roster that hails from the state of Floriday – RHP Matt Brazis (Tampa), LHP Tyler Pike (Winter Haven) and C Steve Baron (Miami). It’s the 2nd-most state represented on the roster to California.
• Relieving Guaipe – RHP Mayckol Guaipe has a 2.25 ERA in 32 games this season, with 47 strikeouts and only 8 walks… He ranks 3rd among SL relievers having just walked 8 batters in 48.0 IP…he also ranks 1st in fewest baserunners/9IP ratio at 8.44 (45/48.0 IP).
• Landry is the toughest in the league to strikeout – OF Leon Landry is 1st in the Southern League in fewest strikeouts, fanning just once in every 9.45 at-bats.
• Summer of Hitting – The Generals are leading the Southern League in batting since June 1st, batting .276 (553/2,005) with 39 home runs, 114 doubles and 25 triples in 60 games.
• SS Ketel Marte currently has a 9-game hit streak, batting .351 (13×37) with 6 runs scored, 2 doubles, 1 home run and 4 RBI.. This is Marte’s 6th hitting streak of 2014 of 7 or longer.
• After recording 1 hit in his first 14 AA at-bats (.071), OF Jordy Lara his hit safely in each of his last 8 games, batting .406 (13×32) with 4 runs scored, 5 doubles, 1 home run, 8 RBI and 1 walk. Overall Lara is batting .304 (14×46) with 5 runs scored, 6 doubles, 1 home run, 8 RBI and 4 walks in 10 games with Jackson. INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 6 of his last 7 games, batting .385 (10×26) with 5 runs scored, 1 double, 1 home run, 2 RBI and 4 walks.