Game Central (Tuesday, August 12) vs. Birmingham
Game #119: Jackson Generals 22-27 (53-65) vs. Birmingham Barons 23-26 (52-67)
Time/Place: 7:05 pm CT | Ballpark at Jackson | Jackson, Tennessee
Pitching Match-Up: LHP Cam Hobson (7-9, 4.20) vs. RHP Tony Bucciferro (1-1, 7.15)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals begin a 6-game series in 5 days with their North Division rival Birmingham Barons…Jackson is 6-3 this season against the Barons and 28-30 at home this season…the Generals have won 4 of their last 7 series’ overall, but dropped 3 of 5 on recent road trip at Pensacola.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals held a 2-0, 6-5 and 7-6 lead, but ultimately fell to Pensacola 9-8 on Sunday afternoon.
• RF/3B Patrick Kivlehan (2×4, 3 R, 2B, HR, 5 RBI) recorded his 10th home run with Jackson, while driving in a season-high 5 batters. DH Jordy Lara (2×4, 2B, 2 RBI) recorded 2 hits and drove in 2 runs, while C Carlton Tanabe (1×3, RBI) picked up Jackson’s only other RBI.
• Starter Tyler Pike (0.2,3,5,5,1,1,2HR) allowed 5 runs, including 2 home runs, in only 0.2 innings, but did not factor into the decision. Relivers RH Matt Brazis (3.0,0,0,0,2,2), RH Moises Hernandez (1.2,4,3,3,2,0), LH Nick Hill (0.2,1,1,1,1,1) and RH Stephen Shackleford (2.0,1,0,0,0,3) combined to allow 4 runs over 7.1 innings. Hernandez recorded the loss after allowing 3 runs in the bottom of the 6th inning.
GENERALS BEGIN STRETCH OF 21 GAMES IN 21 DAYS:
• The Generals begin the final stretch of the season with 21 games in 21 days including 11 home games (BIR, CHA) and road trips to Huntsville and Montgomery. 16 of the final 21 games are against North Division foes. Jackson is 29-25 against their remaining
KIVLEHAN IS AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE:
• INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan currently ranks 2nd in the Southern League in batting (.319) and 3rd in slugging percentage (.525). Kivlehan also ranks 4th in the M’s organization in average (.307), 4th in HR (19) and 1st in RBI (95) between Jackson and High Desert. Kivlehan ranks T-3rd in all of MiLB having played in 117 games this season.
Southern League Leaders in Batting Average:
Rank Player Team AVG
1st Tom Belza MOB .321
2nd Patrick Kivlehan JXN .319
3rd Jake Lamb MOB .318
4th Rangel Ravelo BIR .313
5th Ryan Brett MTG .306
6th Ketel Marte JXN .302
DID YOU KNOW?
• Hey Jackson Sun beat writer Josh Lemons, you knew Jordy Lara had 16 hits in his first 13 Jackson games, but DID YOU KNOW? that Lara has 157 hits combined between High Desert and Jackson this season, which ranks 1st in all of the minors. He ranks 2nd in total bases (269), T-4th in extra-base hits (61) and 8th in OPS (1.006)
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Barons visit Jackson again – The Generals host Birmingham for the second time this season and are 3-1 in games at Jackson and 6-3 overall…As a team the Generals are batting .321 against Birmingham this season with 50 runs scored in 9 games.
• Since 2008, the Generals are 35-17 (.673) against the Barons in games played at The Ballpark at Jackson.
• August Power Surge – The Generals have blasted a league-leading 12 homer runs in 9 games so far this month. The .263 average ranks 3rd in the league so far this month.
• Relieving Guaipe – RHP Mayckol Guaipe has a 2.25 ERA in 32 games this season, with 47 strikeouts and only 8 walks… He ranks 3rd among SL relievers having just walked 8 batters in 48.0 IP…he also ranks 1st in fewest baserunners/9IP ratio at 8.44 (45/48.0 IP).
• Landry is the toughest in the league to strikeout – OF Leon Landry is 1st in the Southern League in fewest strikeouts, fanning just once in every 9.35 at-bats.
• OF Jordy Lara his hit safely in each of his last 9 games, batting .417 (15×36) with 4 runs scored, 6 doubles, 1 home run, 10 RBI and 1 walk. Overall Lara is batting .320 (14×46) with 5 runs scored, 7 doubles, 1 home run, 10 RBI and 4 walks in 13 games with Jackson.
• INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 7 of his last 8 games, batting .400 (12×30) with 8 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and 4 walks.
GENERALS IN SEATTLE:
• The current active Mariners roster features 12 former Generals. 3B Kyle Seager was named an American League All-Star.
•,Roenis Elias, Tom Wilhelmsen, Dominic Leone and Yoervis Medina, Erasmo Ramirez and Taijuan Walker are members of the M’s pitching staff.
• Dustin Ackley, Michael Saunders,, Kyle Seager, Brad Miller, Jesus Sucre, Mike Zunino and Chris Taylor are position players.
GENERALS ON THE AIR:
• Fans can listen to all 140 games this season on the flagship home of the Generals, 96.5 ESPN. Each game will also be streamed on jacksongeneralsbaseball.com and the TuneIn Radio App.
Calling the games will be 2013 Southern League Broadcaster of the Year, Chris Harris.
• Each home game will be aired live on MiLB.TV.