Game Central (Wednesday, August 13) vs. Birmingham
Game #120/121: Jackson Generals 23-27 (54-65) vs. Birmingham Barons 23-27 (52-68)
Time/Place: 5:05 pm CT | Ballpark at Jackson | Jackson, Tennessee
Game 1: LHP Tyler Olson (6-7, 3.97) vs. RHP Mike Recchia (5-3, 3.36)
Game 2: LHP Kyle Hunter (3-3, 3.92) vs. RHP David Cales (2-0, 4.33)
Radio: 96.5 ESPN | Listen Live Online | TuneIn Radio App | IPAD or IPHONE
Live Stats: Live pitch-by-pitch coverage will be available on MILB GAMEDAY
Generals Videos: Watch Generals Highlights and Features
Generals Blog: Inside the Jackson Generals
Social Media: Twitter / Facebook
• The Generals continue a 6-game series in 5 days with their North Division rival Birmingham Barons today with a doubleheader…Jackson is 7-3 this season against the Barons and 4-1 in games played in Jackson…the Generals have won 4 of their last 7 series’ overall, but dropped 3 of 5 on recent road trip at Pensacola.
• The game can be heard on 96.5 ESPN, online at jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or TuneIn Radio.
• The Generals posted their 9th shutout of the season on Tuesday as they defeated Birmingham 4-0 to open the series.
• Starter Cam Hobson (6.0,7,0,0,3,3) and reliver RH Trevor Miller (3.0,2,0,0,0,4) combined for a 7-hit shutout as Hobson (8-9) became Jackson’s first 8-game winner on the mound. Miller collected his 2nd save in his last 3 outings.
• 1B Jordy Lara (2×4, 2 RBI) broke a 0-0 tie in the bottom of the 6th with a 2 run single. RF Kevin Rivers (1×4, R) and C Steve Baron (2×4) added RBI’s in the 8th inning to extend the lead to 4-0.
DID YOU KNOW?
• Hey General Manager Jason Compton, you knew the Generals and Barons were playing a doubleheader today, but DID YOU KNOW? that the Generals and Barons have played the 2nd-fewest doubleheaders in the Southern League this season? Each have played 3 and are 4-2 in 7-inning games in 2014. Chattanooga has played the fewest with just 3 7-inning contests.
ODDS AND ENDS:
• Barons visit Jackson again – The Generals host Birmingham for the second time this season and are 4-1 in games at Jackson and 6-3 overall…As a team the Generals are batting .320 against Birmingham this season with 54 runs scored in 10 games.
• Since 2008, the Generals are 36-17 (.679) against the Barons in games played at The Ballpark at Jackson.
• Miller finding his place as a reliever – RHP Trevor Miller earned his 2nd save in his last 3 outings Tuesday night. Miller is now 2-1, with a 1.64 ERA, with 39 strikeouts and 11 walks in 14 games as a reliever. As a starter, Miller is 3-7, with a 5.45 ERA, with 46 strikeouts and 30 walks in 13 starts.
• Relieving Guaipe – RHP Mayckol Guaipe has a 2.25 ERA in 32 games this season, with 47 strikeouts and only 8 walks… He ranks 3rd among SL relievers having just walked 8 batters in 48.0 IP…he also ranks 1st in fewest baserunners/9IP ratio at 8.44 (45/48.0 IP).
• Landry is the toughest in the league to strikeout – OF Leon Landry is 1st in the Southern League in fewest strikeouts, fanning just once in every 9.47 at-bats.
• OF Jordy Lara his hit safely in each of his last 10 games, batting .425 (17×40) with 4 runs scored, 6 doubles, 1 home run, 12 RBI and 1 walk. Overall Lara is batting .333 (16×50) with 5 runs scored, 7 doubles, 1 home run, 12 RBI and 4 walks in 14 games with Jackson.
• INF Patrick Kivlehan has hit safely in 8 of his last 9 games, batting .406 (13×32) with 8 runs scored, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 7 RBI and 6 walks.
LARA LEADING THE MINORS IN HITS:
• Jordy Lara currently has 159 hits this season between High Desert and Jackson, which leads all of the minors…Mississippi’s Jose Peraza…Lara also ranks T-4th in the minors in extra-base hits (61),
GENERALS CLOSE SEASON WITH 21 GAMES IN 21 DAYS:
• The Generals are in the midst of playing 21 games in 21 days to close the season (1-0) including 10 more home games (BIR, CHA) and road trips to Huntsville and Montgomery. 15 of the final 20 games are against North Division foes. Jackson is 30-25 against their remaining opponents.
KIVLEHAN IS AT THE TOP OF THE LEAGUE:
• INF/OF Patrick Kivlehan currently ranks 1st in the Southern League in batting (.320) and 3rd in slugging percentage (.525). Kivlehan also ranks 4th in the M’s organization in average (.308), 4th in HR (19) and 1st in RBI (95) between Jackson and High Desert. Kivlehan ranks T-3rd in all of MiLB having played in 1178games this season.
Southern League Leaders in Batting Average:
Rank Player Team AVG
1st Patrick Kivlehan JXN .320
2nd Jake Lamb MOB .318
3rd Tom Belza MOB .316
4th Rangel Ravelo BIR .312
5th Ryan Brett MTG .305
6th Ketel Marte JXN .302